Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tt00900 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Toilet water splash
    Hi,
    We recently moved to an apartment where the toilet is quite old fashioned. Water splashes whenever it is used. I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the water level in the bowl by making some kind of adjustment in the tank.
    Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tt00900 View Post
    Hi,
    we recently moved to an apartment where the toilet is quite old fashioned. Water splashes whenever it is used. I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the water level in the bowl by making some kind of adjustment in the tank.
    thanks!
    Before we can help we need to know the type of ballcock that you have. Any of these look familiar? Let me know, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 04:35 PM

There is no adjustment in the tank that will change the level of water in the bowl. You can only adjust the level 0f water in the tank, not the bowl. Only option here is to get a new, more modern toilet. Old toilets used a lot more water than the new ones(old ones were mostly 3 gallon per flush, new ones are 1.6 or less). Some of the old toilet desings caused a pretty good splash when flushed, just the nature of the beast. Really think your better off upgrading to a new toilet to solve this problem. Good luck and please let us know what you decide. Lee.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 04:45 PM
    I assume it "splashes" out when you flush...
    In addition ot MGD77's advice: You could actually restrict bowl fill line a bit. That's the line that fills toilet bowl with water after each flush. If it is an old toilet than it probably is at least 3.5 gln per flush unit. You could lower water level a bit.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tt00900 View Post
    Hi,
    we recently moved to an apartment where the toilet is quite old fashioned. Water splashes whenever it is used. I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the water level in the bowl by making some kind of adjustment in the tank.
    thanks!
    Would explain what you mean when you say "Water splashes when it is used" Do you mean when it is flushed or when you are urinating into it? If it is the latter I have had lots of people ask me what to do in this case and I really do not have an answer. But my wife does, she says sit down on the seat when you use the commode.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Want to lower the bowl level? Look at the two ballcocks I've put it. Simply disconnect the little tube that runs from the ballcock to the white over flow tube. You might also reduce the tank level a bit. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bubling toilet, washing machine running, water coming out of toilet and outside pipe. [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my toilet has started bubling. The washing machine was running. I happened to noticed that the toilet in my spare bathroom had water coming out from under the toilet. The tub beside it looks as of at one point dirty water had possibly backed up in it (I don't use the tub, I could...

Materials for back splash [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting a back splash for my new kitchen counter and I am wondering about alternative materials instead of tile. I have seen ads for a metallic roll that functions as a back spash or? My cabinets are dark walnut/ebony, wall colour is yellow/gold. Any ideas? schwanny

Black splash screen in XP [ 15 Answers ]

Black splash screen during XP boot up

How to make water splash... [ 2 Answers ]

Im using photoshop and corel photopaint, and until now I'm still looking a way how to make those photos that I've seen in the magazine, it's a water splash looks like a drop of water in a water surface that makes circle wave from center to spreadly fading... amazing isn't it :D Anyone can help me..

View more questions Search