Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Why spelling is important
    After reading so many questions and answers with spelling problems and misused words, I am reminded of a story that my father told me many years ago. It is one reason I try very hard to make sure I have the correct word.

My father was studying to become a minister at the time.

One day they had a guest speaker who asked the students to write down any questions they had on pieces of paper and he would answer them at the end of the lecture.

He gets through his speech and has answered several questions, when he opens a folded piece of paper and gets very quiet for a minute. They watch his face go through several interesting expressions including raising one eyebrow and biting his lip.

Finally, he looks up and with a straight face and says, "Yes, I think Joseph is important with or without the R."
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Until recently spell check was available on AMHD, it was also a good way to re read your post and make any adjustments needed..

Computer skills are not my forte and the stress trying to find spell check or download it ,would cause me a possible stroke.

My education was wasted,the nuns would weep.

However I do try,but sometimes my brain works faster then my fingers and I make stupid spelling mistakes.

Text speak is the ruin of the english language...

Please god,I've made no spelling mistakes on this post!
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Sep 7, 2009, 04:02 PM

Huh?

I don't get the joke... :(
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 04:06 PM

Uhmmm...

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Sep 7, 2009, 04:09 PM

Ahhh now I get it... cool... Brain needed a restart...
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    Uhmmm..................

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
    I do NOT want to be able to read this.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 05:17 PM

But you CAN , right cats ;)

Sep 7, 2009, 05:20 PM

Its not a hard read, so I guess its true... spelling isn't all that important... maybe that's why people have a problem with text speech too... since it shortens words we would usually be able to recognize...
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
    I started

It hurt

I stopped.

Maybe I can. I don't want to.

I'm tellin' Synnen
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 05:22 PM

LOL... tattle tale :eek:
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2009, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVY View Post
    Huh?

I don't get the joke... :(
    Maybe my brain needs a restart too, but could you please explain it to me?
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    Maybe my brain needs a restart too, but could you please explain it to me?
    Spell important without the "R"
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Spell important without the "R"
    NOW I get it :o

:D
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    NOW I get it :o

:D
    And you've been back to blonde for how long?

Sep 15, 2009, 03:51 PM

Hey hey... nothing wrong with blondes... ;)

Oh so yummy...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 07:15 AM
    Important --> Impotent. Actually 2 letters are the difference. Remember, correct spelling is essential.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Cat, I got it. I believe that spelling is important, even though I find it challenging when I write to get it right. Yet am quietly pleased with myself when I spell a word, that I haven't used in a while, or seen in writing recently, correctly. It's a nice little accomplishment in my day.

When I was surveying full time, I would do all the writing on the stakes that we used. We did layout work on major construction sites. These stakes needed to be correctly placed, horizontally and vertically, in order for the planned project to be built. I had a guy that wrote " servee cuntol pount " (s/b survey control point), after that, it was all in my writing.

I know some people who are extremely intelligent that simply cannot spell. But sometimes...

You can tell when someone skipped too many English classes can't you?

Oh yea, is it true what they say about preacher's daughters?

That they know how to spell?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Important --> Impotent. Actually 2 letters are the difference. Remember, correct spelling is esential.

You are right - correct spelling is essential.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name Spelling [ 2 Answers ]

My first name on my passport is spelled different than on my green card (I'm not an american citizen yet). Could this discrepancy cause a problem when re-entry to the US?

Changing Spelling of my name [ 1 Answers ]

How can I legally change the spelling of my first name on my brith certificate? Only my birth certificate and drivers license have one spelling; everything else (Baptismal certificate, school & military records, social security, health records, etc) have the one that I have used all my life but...

Spelling to get into Heaven [ 3 Answers ]

A woman arrived at the Gates of Heaven. While she was waiting for Saint Peter to greet her, she peeked through the gates. She saw a beautiful banquet table. Sitting all around were her parents and all the other people she had loved and who had died before her. They saw her and began calling...

Spelling to get into Heaven [ 4 Answers ]

Spelling to get into Heaven A woman arrived at the Gates of Heaven. While she was waiting for Saint Peter to greet her, she peeked through the gates. She saw a beautiful banquet table. Sitting all around were her parents and all the other people she had loved and who had died before her. They...

Spelling [ 33 Answers ]

Is the horrible spelling I see posted by a lot of the younger people a txt messaging short hand I must stumble though or just poor spelling skills?

View more questions Search