Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Sep 7, 2009, 12:05 PM
    Is she allowed to ask this during an interview?
    I had an interview about a week ago and during the interview the manager asked me "why do you not have a reference for your last job?". I was really caught off guard because I never had anyone ask me that question in an interview so I just had to be honest, I told her that I left on a bad note because the manager and I did not get along. It was obviously not a good thing to say but I was so caught off guard by it and it was the first thing that came to my mind. She then asked me who was my manager at that job(my old job is in the same mall as the one I was being interviewed for) but I just looked at her like, why are you asking me this? and she said never mind. I was just wondering if she's even allowed to ask me why I do not have a reference for my last job and if she's allowed to ask who my manager was at my last job?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 12:18 PM

The answer is yes.

She is going to want to know your work history,and if you were a good employee,good time keeper etc..

I'm surprised that you were surprised!

Although perhaps where you live its not standard,in ireland you need to provide two referances,and they will be checked into too..
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 12:39 PM
    They sound like legitimate questions to me. I know it's after the fact now, but in the future when something like that happens and you're caught off guard, the best thing to do is to go along with it by saying something like "I wasn't aware one was necessary. But I'll be happy to get one if needed."
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Sep 8, 2009, 03:36 PM
    I was surprised because I had already given her two references and then she asks me "why don't you have one for your last job?", I've never had anyone ask me that during an interview before so I was like.. what the?? Lol. It really bothered me when she asked who my manager was because that's really none of her business. Needless to say I didn't get the job and I was upset that she asked me these questions but I guess if she's allowed to then o well, thanks for your responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a divorce before 1st interview of marriage based green card interview [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm living in america since 2003 decemeber, 1st I had a f1 then I transfer to h1b and now I'm on marriage based green card status, I'm getting a divorce to my wife and my interview 1st interview is due in a week ,what's going to happen to my status after that I have no criminal record no bad...

I like him but it's like I'm almost not allowed? [ 13 Answers ]

Yea so my brother has this friend and ever since we met there has been these sparks between us. He always comes over to see me but uses my brother for an excuse. Lol. I love spending time with him. It's so funny, we do the dumbest things. But the other day my mom was like asking me some stuff about...

Is this allowed [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for a company for 17yrs and they told me my job was being fazed out one day and they had another job for me 30 miles further and 15k less a year. I left on a Friday and that Monday they hired someone else much less income then mine. This happened 2 weeks before my 60th birthday. Is that...

Why is this allowed? [ 7 Answers ]

There are reports that once the rescue of people is done, the National Guard has orders to shoot any stray animal on site. Animals are starving. They swim to rescue boats and are being turned away because the boats are for people, yet the rescuers for animals are not allowed to rescue them. ...

View more questions Search