Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2labsmom Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

Sep 6, 2009, 01:33 PM
    dog dandruff
    I have a 2 year old silver chocolate lab who tends to get bad dandruff and dry skin when it starts getting cold. Right now it is summer so its not so bad but I wanted to see if there was something I could do or feed to prepare. Right now I feed nature's recipe healthy skin 2x's aday. On his dinner he gets a little olive oil and his favorite day is egg Friday, because that is when he gets his raw egg on his dry food. He gets a bath probrobly every other week in the summer, and maybe once a month in the winter.

I am open to any suggestions.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 01:59 PM

Promoting healthy skin in your dog can be accomplished by adding cooked veggies to his meal such as carrots, brocoli (the stalks cooked down) save them when you cook veggies. I save everything, carrot ends, brocolli ends, cabbage ends and tthrow them in a pot and cook till tender and add them a bit at a time to my dog's meal plus a tbs of veg oil. I have never seen any dandruff.

Your lab should not be displaying any dandruff and I think you are bathing too much. A good swim would be better for him so he can please you and display his prowess in the water. They love a good swim !

Tick

Sep 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
    He gets plenty of fresh veggies like carrots, apples, cucumbers and tomatoes(most of which he picks from our garden when we are not looking) and as for the swimming he does a lot of that. But in the winter that is not possible, right now his skin is fine. Just trying to get some info before it turns cold.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 03:43 PM

Then,. he doesn't really need a bath once a month in the winter time. If you do, then make sure it's a well fortified doggy shampoo with conditioners. Or, take him to the groomer and tell them he has a dandruff problem so they use the proper shampoo.

Ideas okay then you got them.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Instead of olive oil, try a little fish oil. You may only need to give him a couple of sardines every other Friday instead of egg. Fish oils have worked for us for decades, and nothing shows dandruff like the short coat on a black Dobie.

Sep 6, 2009, 06:26 PM
    Thanks catsmine, where can you get the fish oil and is there any special kind? This may sound weird, but when he gets wet, does the fish oil have a smell that will leach out through his skin?
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2labsmom View Post
    thanks catsmine, where can you get the fish oil and is there any special kind? this may sound weird, but when he gets wet, does the fish oil have a smell that will leach out through his skin?
    No smell, unless you do the sardines, then it's his breath. Doggy toothbrushes help, like milk bone or rawhide strips. Wet dog smell is not affected by anything, make that ANYTHING.

Fish oils are available in the Oriental foods section, at the health food store, or the pharmacy.
    little_n_lost Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hey there my chocolate lab used to get bad dandruff too, try getting some medicated shampoo from any good pet supply store, its not very expensive but can work a treat. I would suggest giving rawhide as I have found with most dogs it van give them terrible gas

Sep 6, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by little_n_lost View Post
    Hey there my chocolate lab used to get bad dandruff too, try getting some medicated shampoo from any good pet supply store, its not very expensive but can work a treat. I would suggest giving rawhide as i hav found with most dogs it van give them terrible gas
    Tried the medicated shampoo but it made him itch. And rawhides are a no no in our house since he choked on one as a puppy, but thank you
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2labsmom View Post
    tried the medicated shampoo but it made him itch. and rawhides are a no no in our house since he choked on one as a puppy, but thank you
    A good doggie treat/toothbrush:Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe Will Have Your Dog Smiling
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:56 PM

Actually rawhide is vcery bad for dogs.
    If they eat is too fast it can actually form a ball in the dogs stomach cauding blockages.

Rawhide treats should only ever be given in 5-10 minute sittings and always supervised to make sure they are only chewing on it and not eating large chunks.

Bathing a Lab once a month is far too much. If they have a good diet they should rarely if ever need bathing (unless they are actually dirty)
    Just a good brush every day or even once a week will promote healthy skin as well as brush out any loose dirt and dust they have accumulated.

Sep 7, 2009, 12:07 AM
    The biggest reason for the winter baths is that he jumps in the tub because he likes bath time, but I guess he'll just have to dream about it. (when he sleeps sometimes he starts moving his legs like he's dreaming he's swimming) soooo cute
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 01:49 AM

Perhaps you could compromise with him...

Just fill the tub up about an inch or two with warm water, no shampoo and let him splash about.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 02:57 AM
    Here I was expecting to get chewed on about milk bone and the rawhide gets all the flak. I use neither. I get (believe it or not) Hartz chew sticks. The pup loves them, they dissolve completely in the stomach, and they're only 5inches (11cm) long. They really do keep her teeth clean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Dandruff! [ 4 Answers ]

I have extremely bad dandruff and I cannot use any shampoo/conditioner other than Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders without getting dandruff. Recently its become worse and the shampoo I'm using is not helping much. I shower regularly at least once every 2 days to once a day. Any suggestions on...

Dandruff [ 3 Answers ]

A blonde is at the hairdressers chatting to the stylist. "My boyfriend has bad dandruff" she says. The stylist says "Give him head and shoulders." The blonde goes quiet. After a few minutes of deep thought she says.. . "How do I give him shoulders?"

My cat has dandruff and I can't get rid of it! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is experiencing a lot of dandruff. His back itches a lot. What can I do to make it better. Can I use hydrocortizone on it to keep the dandruff down? Please help! >Moved from Forum Help<

Dandruff ? [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know why my brother's dog would have white flakes(that look like dandruff) running through his black fur?

Got dandruff [ 10 Answers ]

Hi! Can anybody tell me some remedy for.. I got a lot of dandruff in my hairs plus in scalp too... my hair are dry... please tell me something that helpss... thanx

View more questions Search