Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmarieb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Aquamarines turning clear after being sized
    After have a saphire and aquamarine eternity band sized, 3 aquamarines appear clear, when before they where a very pretty light blue. What might cause this? Thanks for the help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 10:42 AM

Low grade aquamarines are heat treated to make them appear a more intense blue. Could be, the effect is wearing off and that's why the colour is changing.

A real aquamarine will never lose its brilliant blue colour.

Tick
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 6, 2009, 10:54 AM

My guess is that the heat used to resize the band leeched the color out. Many stones change color under heat, some get brighter and others lose their color. Some stones can even do both, depending on the degree and duration of the heat.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 12:38 AM
    If exposed in the sun or heat, aquamarine tends to loose its color. Hence aquamarines are advised to keep in dark places.

Jewelry is re-sized by subjecting it to heat. Your stone has lost it's color because of resizing the band.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler 3 knob shower faucet keeps turning and turning on the hot water. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 3 knob Kohler shower faucet in my bathroom. The hot water keeps turning and turning and doesn't stop. The water does turn on and off but it also keeps dripping. I have to play with it in order to prevent it from dripping as much as possible. How can I fix this? It is an older type Kohler...

My shower faucet keeps turning and turning. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my shower faucet has to be almost entirely turned around before it comes on. This just happened today. . Only the cold water.. is that a bad valve er something? Thank you in advance:(

Different sized areola [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 18 and have DD boobs, which I like when they are in clothes or in a bra, but the areola on the left boob is so much bigger than the right. I know other people can notice too, because my boyfriend said he can notice that, but doesn't notice my breasts are two different sizes, which also...

How to fix sillcock valve that keeps turning and turning [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I have searched high and low but can not seem to find anything related to my own problem. I have a sillcok valve that just can not be shut off and with winter coming I am starting to think I will need a plumber but wanted to try myself first. I removed the screw that holds the tap and...

View more questions Search