Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tandah Posts: 67, Reputation: 5

Sep 6, 2009, 10:15 AM
    2 year old ready for big bed?
    My 2 year old loves to sleep.. she like to take her nap in the afternoon and most of the time has NO problem at all when going to bed at night.
    We have a new baby on the way, next month actually and I'd like to get her into a "Big Bed" before the baby comes. DO you think she is too young yet?
    She hasn't tried to claim out of the crib yet either...
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 6, 2009, 10:19 AM

Do YOU think she's ready for it? Do you think she'll fall out of bed? If you think she's ready to handle it, that's all that matters.

Why not make a big deal out of it? Take her shopping for a toddler bed and all the bedding to go with it. Let her pick out things she likes, within reason of course. Tell her that now she's going to be a big sister she gets a big girl bed.
    Tandah Posts: 67, Reputation: 5

Sep 6, 2009, 10:23 AM

That's a really great idea! Thanks so much!
    Also, I really do that she is ready but we don't have a Toddler bed.. it's a single bed with a gate-like idea around the bed, so she can't fall out. Maybe it'll be too much of a change because it's so much bigger then her crib, I'm not sure.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 10:47 AM

The only down side to a big bed is the possibility of her getting out of there without your permission or knowledge.

Two years olds are getting into the climbing stage and that is a time when they need to be watched like a hawk.

Getting on chairs and putting them next to locks and sneaking out of the house is not as uncommon as one would think.

They are very crafty at that age so you can never underestimate their abilities.

If you haven't already done so now it the time to totally baby proof the house and remember that as she begins to climb and move chairs.you need to baby proof the higher cupboards as well.

I think she may be a little young and a big change right now (the new baby is a huge change) may be more difficult.It might be good to wait until after the baby is home for some time.

She may also want to be with the new baby and sneak out of bed to do that.

Since you will be sleep deprived and may be sleeping sounder when you do get sleep,I would say wait until the new baby is a few months old.

Good luck with your new baby! You are going to have your hands full :)
    Glauren Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Sep 28, 2009, 03:34 PM

You could put her in a twin bed and put those bed guards on the sides of the bed so she doesn't roll out. I made a really big deal out of it when mine went to a big bed. They were so excited. My daughter who is now 3, went to a twin bed with the guards when she was 2. She wanted to be like her big brother who is 5. I think we moms worry way more then necessary when we think of putting our babies in a big bed. I have never heard any one I know ever have problems with their little ones switching over at a young age. I do know a lady who put off buying her three year old a toddlers bed and then one night while she and her husband sat out on their patio the child climbed out of the crib and got his arm stuck in the crib opening while dropping over the other side and broke his arm. Because of that, I would much rather move a child out a little to soon then a little to late.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 03:39 PM

My son was two when he started sleeping in a bed. We put the bed in his room with him for a month before we switched.

We started him off with naps and then waited to see what his reaction would be. Within the month he was trying to climb out of his crib to get to the bed so we knew he was ready.

The first night went by without a hitch. We waited another month before we moved the crib out of his room.

Yes, he got to pick the bed and when he finally slept in it over night he got the bedding of his choice as a reward.

We just got a net type deal, it goes under the mattress and comes up and around to prevent the child from falling out. I'm sure they still make them.

Personally, I wouldn't get a toddler bed, it's really not worth the expense. A single bed is fine, with the anti fall thingamajig, darnit, I can't remember what it's called. Ours was made by safety first.

I'll try to find a picture. ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Here we go;

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  2.6 KB

What I really love about this thing is the fact that it's portable, you can take it with you on vacations, camping, overnights with Grandma and Grandma. It's great! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it possible for a man not to be ready for sex? [ 26 Answers ]

I have been going out with this guy for couple of months now. Our relationship developed very slowly, but it is getting somewhere now. He recently told me that he is not ready for sex. Is it possible? I know he is very sensitive. But, should I be afraid that there is something he is not telling me?...

Let us get ready! [ 18 Answers ]

In yesterday’s Gospel (Lk 17:26-37) Jesus said to his disciples, «As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be on the day the Son of Man comes. Then people ate and drank; they took husbands and wives. But on the day Noah entered the ark, the flood came and destroyed them all. Just as it was in the...

Not ready 4 sex [ 8 Answers ]

Hello , there's this girl , I really like her and she likes me she wants me to ask her out and I want to but she has had sex . I'm not ready , what do I do?

Am I ready [ 7 Answers ]

The boy I go out with has been my best friend for a year and a few months We fell for each other then realized how much we liked each other and started dating. He is the sweetest boy I know and I love him a lot and I really hope I stay with him forever. This is the first time I have fell for a...

Should I be ready for another one? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got out of a relationship where I was cheated on.. I have been Single For a month and I have been hanging out with just about everyone. Haven't had sex since My ex dumped me.. Or right after with him.. I have been hanging out with this Friend of mine, who I've know Since High school. He is...

View more questions Search