Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robinlynn65 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Planting trees
    We just planted a Weeping Willow tree but the ground is as hard as a rock. Will this keep the roots from spreading and allowing the tree to grow? Or do we need to replant it in softer ground?
    Please advise
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Sep 6, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Hi! robinlynn65, and Welcome to AMHD :)

Quote Originally Posted by robinlynn65 View Post
    We just planted a Weeping Willow tree but the ground is as hard as a rock. Will this keep the roots from spreading and allowing the tree to grow? Or do we need to replant it in softer ground?
    Please advise
    Short answer, Not necessarily.
    Willows have shallow root systems, but there are still some guidelines to follow.

I need to know:
    • Do you know its species?
    • Was it a bare-root or balled?
    • What were the dimensions of the tree including the roots? (length x breath)
    • How deep and wide did you make the hole?
    • Did you amend the soil?
    • How close is the tree located to sidewalks, house, or septic system if you have one?
    • Did you dig the hole by hand or machine?

Here's one site check out #'s 5, and 7
    9 Things You Should Know About Trees

After you answer those questions for me I can give you a more detailed answer.

K
    robinlynn65 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 08:28 PM

K, am new to this site. Not sure how to reply to your post. I appreciate your help, however, I don't know the answer to all of your questions. I don't know the species. Bare root or balled? The tree is about 10 ft tall. The hole isn't very deep or wide due to the fact the ground was as hard as a rock. Do not know what "amend" means. It is not close to any sidewalks or house or septic system. And we dug the hole by hand.

The tree has been planted for 6 days now and I noticed today that the leaves are turning yellow. What could this mean?
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Sep 12, 2009, 05:13 AM
    K, am new to this site. not sure how to reply to your post. I appreciate your help, however, i don't know the answer to all of your questions.
    Now, now... robinlynn65, not to fret. Lets go over what we do know.

I don't know the species. bare root or balled? the tree is about 10 ft tall.
    • Species
      Did it come with a tag on the trunk, branch or container
      that would tell you what type of willow it was?

• Bare root or balled
      If you purchased this tree from your local
      County Conservation district, it most likely
      didn't come with anything covering the roots
      except a gell like substance, and a plastic bag
      to keep the roots moist, ergo "bare-root".

If you purchased this tree from a local Big-Box store
      like Wal-mart, Lowes, or Home Depot, it would have been
      in at least a 3gal. container or wrapped in burlap tied
      with string or wire.
      Both container or burlap would have contained soil.

You did take it out of the container or cut the wire or string, didn't you?

• 10' tall
      Tells me your tree is still a young'un, maybe 3years old.

the hole isn't very deep or wide due to the fact the ground was as hard as a rock.
    • If it was bare-root
      Was it at least as deep as the roots were long?

• If it was container or balled
      Was the hole at least as big as the container or ball?

do not know what "amend" means.
    "Amend" means; "To add to" Did you add extra soil to the hole or around the tree when you planted it?

it is not close to any sidewalks or house or septic system. and we dug the hole by hand.
    Not being close to those three is good. Digging the hole by hand tells me the hole is probably too small.

the tree has been planted for 6 days now and i noticed today that the leaves are turning yellow. what could this mean?
    Being that you just planted it, your tree is under stress.
    How many times have you watered it?
    A newly planted tree should be watered until the soil is saturated, at least twice a day for three days, then drop to once a day for the next four. Then once a week during the growing season

If you want to put in the extra effort, go back to one of the big-box stores, and pick up at least two, maybe three 40lb bags of topsoil, and a bag of mulch. It depends on how big your hole is.

Carefully use your shovel and slice around the edge of the hole, then with one last slice lift the tree out of the hole, and place it on some cardboard, or in your wheelbarrow. Remove all of the remaining "rocky soil" from the hole. At this point you can attempt to enlarge the hole or leave it as it is. Remove the remaining soil from the tree roots.

Pour 'bout half of one bag into the hole, re-place the tree into the hole, while holding it upright pour the remaining bag into the hole, firming the soil around the roots. Add enough water to dampin' the soil. Pour in, and firm enough of second bag to ground level, saturate hole. Re-level soil, and create a moat around the hole's perimeter, cover with mulch to help guard against evaporation. If you are starting your fall season do not fertilize now, wait until spring. Water as above.

Did you save the sales slip? If the tree does eventually fail in the first year, the place you bought it from should honor it with a reasonable replacement.

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Planting trees need ideas [ 1 Answers ]

What types of trees will grow from a cut branch like a willow tree my grandfather taught me how to take a willow branch put it into water and it would grow roots for planting is there any other type of tree that will do this.

Planting roses [ 2 Answers ]

:) I have a rose bush that I did not get planted in the ground. It is now the end of October. I live in northern Ohio.. Can I store this plant. If so were is the best place? Do I have to keep it in doors? Thank you for any help.

Planting petunias [ 1 Answers ]

Can I plant petunias along side of Agastache cana?

View more questions Search