Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpa0511 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Replacing Roof

I have a leaky roof. I had a contractor come out and give me an estimate, he said my insurance company would pay for the roof to be replaced is this true?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:10 PM

What is the reason that the roof needs to be replaced? That makes all the difference in whether it is covered by your homeowner's insurance. Regular wear and tear isn't covered.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 09:38 AM

Agreed, wear and tear is your responsibility. If the roof was damaged due to a storm or physical impact you may have coverage but not just age. In my area we had a very big hail storm, golf ball sized. Our roofs appeared OK but upon inspection the shingles were cracked from hail impact. Several folks on my block got new roofs via insurance coverage.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:58 PM

Leaky roofs generally didn't get like that overnight without something causing the damage. Check with your insurance company to see if you are covered. Don't just take the repairdude's say so.

If a tree hit the roof, hail damage, storm damage, etc. yes, I'm sure you'd be covered but as Nikosmom pointed out normal wear and tear is not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flashing Roof Vent on Flat Roof [ 14 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install some ventilation in my flat roof. I've decided to go with this system: Flat Roof Top Attic Ventilation. It looks perfect for my application. I've done some research on how to install the fan, including on a couple other forums, but have a couple of unanswered...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Metal Roof over existing shingle roof ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hurricane Andrew & Gustav has convinced me to put a metal roof. I'm too old to keep patching shingles. I'm undecided : on using treated 1 x 4 lats directly over shingles (parallel to ridge), screwed to rafters and metal screwed to lats or

Replacing roof [ 2 Answers ]

What is a very rough ball park for replacing a steep pitch roof with good quality composite shingle. 5000 sq. ft home, two stories. Assume wood decking is in place. Thanks, kab

View more questions Search