Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buffalotown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Can I use a dimensional shingle for starter shingle, hkstroud.
    Me again, What I meant to ask is, can you use the bottom half of a dimensional shingle for the starter strip? Or could this cause a leaking problem? Thank you
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:01 PM

There are 3 ways to start shingles:

1. A starter strip
    2. A double layer of shingles (I don't like this method)
    3. Shingles cut

Use Ice and water shield at edge and a drip edge. Some shingles aren't warrantied unless installed with Ice and Water shield.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 07:09 PM

I think the tabs of a dimensional shingle as a starter strip would probably cause unsightly bumps or bulges in the first course. You would have to start with half a tab to insure the joints between the tabs do not line up with the gaps between the tabs of the first course. Why would you want to do it. The savings in material would be exceeded by cost in labor. Save those tabs for the ridge cap.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 07:58 PM

Here is the general method w/o using a starter strip:

Applying Asphalt Shingles

I asked a roofer about the double-layer method that he used and he basically said it depends on how windy it gets and that method was OK to use for my locality.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 14, 2009, 10:26 AM

Some install a starter strip by just reversing a normal shingle with the tap portion up. Some will cut off the tabs on a shingle to use that as a starter strip. A starter strip purchased is the best way to go because of reasons posted above.

YES - ICE and WATER Shield is very important.
    It's now code in many states and there is a reason for it. I have seen plenty of reasons.

This is used along the eaves towards the edge of the roof. About 3 feet in width. Along the valley's and in other places. Keepitsmiplestupid is right on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patch a shingle Roof [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a 30 year roof with two layers, can you patch it if there are approximately 8 squares that are damaged?

Shingle recall [ 2 Answers ]

My shingles were put on in 1999. They were purchased from menards. I bought the house about a year & 1/2 ago. All of the shingle are curling up. Is there a recall or rebate on the shingles. If so who & how do I go about this.

Redoing shingle roof [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,the question I have today is about doing shingle roof in the winter,as I heard that if it is too Cold the shingles will not seal at the tar joint,it is in the middle to low 30's to 40's here in Washington state,thanks'

Full body stain on new shingle siding - best way? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a full body stain over some new cedar shingles. What is the best way to do this?

View more questions Search