Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HollySat Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Is this a new way to advertise?
    I was searching for a unique was to show links on my site, the idea being that if the people who cam to my site saw something new then they would be more inclined to click on them.

So, I decided to create tiny pictures that have on-hover pop-ups with links. I got the idea from a site called:

www.onepageoneworld.com

Users have been coming here (site has slowly but surely got more paid ads), so I think that this has some traction to it.

Do you think it's a good idea to use this type of advertisting, would you and why?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 5, 2009, 09:05 AM

I just have to wonder how in the WORLD you are supposed to be able to find anything on that site. Wow. Just, wow. That is a lot of stuff.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 10:00 AM

I agree with hheath, that site is just WAY to hard to follow.

I clicked on quite a few pictures and I still don't understand what the site is about.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Hi, HollySat!

I think that it's a way to advertise, but I don't think that it's a new way to advertise. People have tried many ways of advertising on their sites over the years in order to attract people to their sites.

What's most important, is the actual words that you use on a site and to find a place to have a site, or ads, that the advertiser knows will get excellent exposure when people do searches for things using search engines.

I did a couple of Google searches for that particular site for which you provided a link.

The Whole World on a Single Page

Google

The second search was a vanity search. Only then, did that site come up on the first page in the search using Google. Most people aren't going to be trying to find something by doing a vanity search.

Although using that many images is interesting, it doesn't appear to be effective.

If a person wants to attract a variety of different ages and types of people to their site, it's best to keep things simple so that the site is as user-friendly as possible and also to use words on the site in such a way so that the site will come up right away when people do searches.

Why are you wanting people to come to your site, please?

For what I advertise, I consistently come up in the first many pages when people do searches for who I am, what I do and where I'm located.

If you'd like some ideas in how your site can get better exposure when people do searches for things on the Internet, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:25 PM

I'll agree with WOW. I gave up waiting for it to load...
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 09:24 PM
    It also took a long time for it to load up for me, morgaine300!

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2009, 12:53 PM

Hm, I'm able to load it just fine, maybe your connection is slow? As for the purpose this site is using the small pictures for advertising.
    I want to take the concept and just use one or two rows/columns on a site for advertising.
    What do you think?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 6, 2009, 12:56 PM

I think they're too busy and will either be overlooked or avoided.

Sep 6, 2009, 01:35 PM

I respectfully disagree, I think that a single row carefully placed on site would in fact generate curiosity. Since it's new it would not be overlooked. Now, perhaps the images could be a bit bigger but, I still think it has merit. I guess the only way to know for sure as with most things is to try it.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 03:28 PM

I think they're too busy also. You're welcome to respectfully disagree, but then why did you ask what we thought? If you think it has merit and want to try it, then try it.

Sep 6, 2009, 03:46 PM

Because it's still good to garner some input if possible before you try an idea (read the art of war).
    Haven't you ever asked for input and then went ahead anyway? I guess I should also ask do you think there is any way to improve the concept to adapt it for everyday use.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 09:52 PM
    Hi again, HollySat!

In my opinion, unless words are added to the images or descriptions made of them that can readilly be found when people do searches for things, than using just images for advertising purposes isn't going to attract very many people to your site.

I did ask you the following question in post #4 above.

I would appreciate an answer to that question...

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2009, 10:02 PM

Clough, I think you should read posts a little more clearly before jumping to conclusions, this is not my site quote from original post:

"I got the idea from a site called: www.onepageoneworld.com"

My idea is not this site but, rather taking elements from it and using it on other sites. I am here to see whether the extrapolated idea has merit. In my humble opinion (you are certainly entitled to yours) this site (onepageoneworld) has merit simply for the fact that it is a unique site. People have been drawn to unique things on the net many times before purely because of this.

Thanks for your opinion!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 10:08 PM
    So, what might draw people to that site, HollySat?

I'm only here to help, not to hinder...

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2009, 10:34 PM

Have you seen a site like it before, that uses the same elements in the same way? Once again the look of the site is unique, so that is the answer to your query, one word: unique. Asking the same question won't give a different answer.

Further, using elements of the design would once again be unique, meaning you have never seen it before and therefore because of that it will draw a certain amount of attention.

There is your answer.

Thanks Clough!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Hi again, HollySat!

I've seen a lot of sites...

You can design a site any way that you like. But, whether people will come to it or be drawn to it will be a different matter.

Again, I would ask of you,
    Just because your site is unique, doesn't mean that you're going to draw the traffic that you would like to it.

If you're set on a way to design your site, then I would say "Go for it!" If you would like to know how to design it in such a way as to draw the most traffic to it, then, that's something that we might discuss here.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HollySat View Post
    Haven't you ever asked for input and then went ahead anyways?
    Yes, quite a bit. Usually when I'm a bit unsure of something... and quite often can still go ahead with the original plan. Sometimes hearing an opposite opinion makes me even more convicted in my own opinion.

You just told Clough that asking the same question was not helping. But you basically keep saying the same thing over and over. You sound already fairly convicted in your opinion, get other people's opinions - which you can ignore, that's fine - but then you repeat it and ask again. Sounds more like you're waiting for someone to agree with you than honestly wanting someone else's opinion.

You've ignored two people who said that page loaded slow, but it doesn't seem to matter as long as it loads fine for you. (Meaning you're ignoring what people are having problems with.)

Clough has told you at least three times now that it's words you need to get people to your site and doesn't think images are the way to do that well. But you keep saying it and asking again anyway.

I think a point that you're missing is that being unique might make some (I stress some) people like it and maybe make them return, it can't draw them to it if they haven't been there yet. You can't Google "unique" and get to your site because there's something unique there. Clough is trying to help you find a way to get people there to start with - what they find when they get there that makes them like it, maybe want to stay or return, is an entirely different thing. The only answer to why you want to draw people to your site is that it's unique. You just want people to see a unique site? OK - they've seen it and can leave now. Seems like there ought to be another reason.

Sounds like something you want to do. So just go for it.

Sep 6, 2009, 10:58 PM
    Well, I was asking for opinions and you certainly gave yours but there is no need to keep giving it.

You don't think that the idea of applying this type of advertising to sites in general would work - thanks for your opinion.

As for the idea of uniqueness, do you really think I would apply the idea and just let the site sit there? You are speaking of SEO and marketing tactics whereas I am speaking of site design. Two completely different things.

Furthermore you completely sidestepped the question I posed, have you seen a site like it before? A simple yes or no would suffice.

Thanks for your thoughts! ;)
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Hi again, HollySat!

I've seen plenty of sites like the one to which you posted a link. Such a site is not unique.

Merely adding images to a site is not an effective way to advertise.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Well, I was asking for opinions and you certainly gave yours but there is no need to keep giving it.
    YOU asked for opinions, so yes, you're getting them. You must have ignored the part where I said you keep asking - you keep asking so you're going to keep getting.

You don't think that the idea of applying this type of advertising to sites in general would work - thanks for your opinion.
    That wasn't my opinion. It's was Clough's. I know nothing about advertising sites. But I trust his judgment on it.

As for the idea of uniqueness, do you really think I would apply the idea and just let the site sit there?
    I did say there must be some other reason you want people to come there. However, you have yet to mention anything about what your future intentions for the site are. You keep asking about drawing people to the site - keeping them there is an entirely different matter. You haven't asked anything about keeping them there.

Furthermore you completely sidestepped the question I posed, have you seen a site like it before? A simple yes or no would suffice.
    I didn't "sidestep" it. That usually implies intent and I wasn't intentionally sidestepping anything.

If I have, I probably left very, very quickly and didn't stay long enough to find out what it was, and therefore would never remember. You mentioned a "single row of carefully placed pictures" -- yeah, I've seen tons of sites with single rows of pictures. What exactly is unique about that? I've also seen tons of sites with a lot of pictures. I find nothing unique about that either. That particular site, with a sort of collage page of pictures, is probably more unique, yes. But if you're going to start changing it, it doesn't matter anymore.

Sorry if that wasn't a simple yes or no, but I couldn't answer that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good Ways To Advertise [ 15 Answers ]

I am looking for some good advice on some advertising - so I hope Im starting this thread correctly. I do have to leave for awhile, but, will return later. Thanks!

Need to advertise for divorce [ 4 Answers ]

I have been separated from my husband, who is not a legal citizen, for 5 months now. I do not know where he lives and was instructed to place an ad for divorce in the paper. I don't know where to begin or who to ask or what to do. Can you please point me in right direction?

How to block Bad Advertise [ 4 Answers ]

There is some website that I go to to download things, but it has bad advertises around them like naked people and things that I don't want to be looking at. I want to know if there is a free program that blocks them. I have Firefox and I downloaded Adblock Plus plug-in. Does that work? Is it good....

How do I advertise? [ 1 Answers ]

MusicWeb International is my website which has been running for 11 years. It is really a co-operative of about 60 reviewers. The main business of the website is classical CD and concert reviews although there is a large amount of other information. It receives a huge number of hits because it is...

View more questions Search