Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonjohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Fireplace insert- chimney
    Hi,
    We recently had our chimney cleaned, costing $160. We have a fireplace insert.
    The person who cleaned it said our chimney was not safe without a liner-it does have flute.

He estimated us $1300 ot put one in and said I don't feel comfortable with you using it.
    I called my insurance and they said as long as its maintained there is no problem.
    We don't want to get ripped off if this is not necessary. The insert was there before we moved in and we have burned in it before.

But now my husband won't use it. :(

My question is: Is the liner necessary?

Thanks
    Bonnie
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
    The best thing to do is get a second opinion.
    Have another chimney guy come out and clean the flue but don't tell him what the first guy said. Sure it will cost you more money but it better than $1300 if you don't need to install a liner.

A friend put a wood insert in his firepalce last year and the manufacture call for a 6" flexible metal liner. We installed the liner, it wasn't fun but that's what the manufacture suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney Height Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a new chimney built and I understand the 2-10-3 rule regarding height. But I don't know if I'm allowed to include a chimney cap as part of the measurement. Any help appreciated.

HELP... PLEASE.. chimney leak? Carpet wet around fireplace... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I hope someone understands what might be going on.. Several weeks ago, while it was raining, we noticed in our downstairs room, the plasterboard above the wood stove... Was wet... and dripping.. onto the brick hearth... that the wood stove sits upon. My husband went up on the roof...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

Chimney starter [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to make my own chimney starter for charcoal grill./ Think use large cans but unsure where the air holes would be placed and what size. Many thanks

Please insert disk into drive A [ 4 Answers ]

I took my computer apart and put it back together since I installed a cd burner. However I'm having issues with my floppy. At first the light was staying on because I had the cable reversed. I changed the cable and made sure pin1 was aligned with the red stripe. Win2k sees the floppy drive but...

View more questions Search