Ask
    brookec Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Five Day Grace Period for Rent
    What states have a five day grace period in paying rent
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2009, 06:23 PM

Very few. Why? Are you going to move to a state just because it offers a grace period for rent?

Why are you really asking?

Sep 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Very few. Why? are you going to move to a state just because it offers a grace period for rent?

Why are you really asking?
    because my apt complex I'm living at is being really stupid so I was j.w if you know the states please tell

Sep 4, 2009, 06:28 PM

What you really want to know if the law for YOUR state. That's all that matters. So what state are you in?

Sep 4, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What you really want to know if the law for YOUR state. that's all that matters. So what state are you in?
    I'm in Florida and no it has nothing to do with that? Another thing is they said if you signed a lease agreement after January 15, 2009 then the grace period is 3 days but if you signed it before January 15, 2009 then the grace period is 5 days.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brookec View Post
    another thing is they said if you signed a lease agreement after january 15, 2009 then the grace period is 3 days but if you signed it before january 15, 2009 then the grace period is 5 days.
    Hello b:

There is NO state law that give a grace period to a tenant. IF your complex grants ANY grace period, it's COMPANY POLICY, not state law.

excon

Sep 4, 2009, 07:36 PM
    I just reviewed a synopsis of FL law and it does not mention a grace period. If you do not pay your rent on time, the landlord must give you a 3 day pay or quit notice. That may be what they referred to.

Just found this:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FY783
    See III-C.

So the bottomline is that a landlord does not have to give a grace period at all. Therefore, the terms of the lease govern when rent is due.
    TaniDes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Comment on brookec's post
    That Can not be true, I am in Florida too... and I sign my lease agreement after the 15th and I have a grace period of 5 days. From my understanding, Florida Law does not require a lanlord to provide you a grace period, it is at their discretion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent due-how long is grace period to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

I heard that when rent is due,there is a 5 day grace period to pay before you can be charged late fees. My question is- Is the grace period 5 days including weekends or is it 5 working days excluding weekends and holidays. I live in an apt in the state of California. ...

Do I have a grace period on my rent payment [ 2 Answers ]

My family of 5 received a 3 day notice on the 2nd after telling the manager we could not pay until th 7th. Is this legal in California or is there a mandatory grace period for people with financial hardships?

Grace period for rent [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any grace period after the rent is due in California before a 3 day notice is served?

Rent Grace Periods in Georgia [ 2 Answers ]

If my rent is due on the 1st does my landlord have to give me a grace period after the 1st to pay my rent without charging me a late fee of $200

Grace period on rent before a late fee in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the law in New Jersey for late fees. How many days grace is the law in New Jersey for paying rent before a late fee can be charged?

View more questions Search