Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fran Champney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 04:06 AM
    Spencer,WV
    We live in a small rural New Hampshire town and are thinking to moving to the area of Spencer in West Virginia. Would appreciate any information on the area.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Wh are you moving, have you traveled there and spent a few weeks looking over the area and seeing what it has to offer ?
    Fran Champney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 05:23 PM
    We are getting older and the winters are too long here and the property taxes way to high.We like Spencer because it has stores (Grocery stores,Wal-Mart) and still has a small rural population. Here when we need something we have to go to Keene which is 20 miles away,population 27,000 plus the college. The traffic is horrid. Basically we are looking for a small town,much cheaper property taxes,shorter winters,basic stores and a hospital.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 4, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Have you ever considered Bedford Virginia?

City of Bedford population: about 6,000
    Shopping, including, walmart, various chain stores in a strip mall. Nice eating establishments, car dealerships, town pride. Low taxes.

Only 30 minutes away from Smith Mountain lake, City of Lynchburg, and City of Roanoke. Roanoke is the major metropolitan city of Southwest Virginia, population about 90,000.

Bedford is a small quiet town nestled right in the middle. Its logo features "sharp top" and "flat top" mountain. Most of Bedford County is rural, it is the sixth largest county in Virginia geographicly. Only minutes away from the Blue Ridge Parkway, including the peaks of otter lodge and the hike up to sharp top mountain, which litterly comes to a point. You can stand at the top of that mountain and see for miles. Bus rides are available to the summit for a small fee. Hiking is free.

Bedford is also home of the National D Day Memorial of WWII.

Last time I checked, the average middle income house sells for about $100-$150k, tax rate for the county was at $0.80 per $100 assessed. Not bad for all the Bedford offers.

It is where I was born and raised, and where I hope to return too when my job allows me.

Here are a few websites for more info:

http://www.visitbedford.com/ <--- Bedford County Tourism/Visitors Info
    http://www.co.bedford.va.us/ <--Office Bedford County website
    http://www.bedfordva.gov/ <----- City of Bedford Website

So why did I leave Bedford and move to Pulaski? Because I was an idiot. I was a young, dumb, idiot.
    dkh0331 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 09:34 AM
    This is a pretty cool web site. It gives you the skinny on your zip code

ZIPskinny - Get the Skinny on that ZIP (demographics by ZIP Code)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spencer Coleman [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone know how much an Original and Signed Piece of artwork By Spencer Coleman would be? Kind Regards Peter

View more questions Search