Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nancikristi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Set up vehicle payable account
    I am trying to set up a purchase of a vehicle for my business and I'm stuck. I have set up an asset account for the vehicle and an a/p account for the vehicle payable and have posted the total purchase. I have a personal vehicle that is not part of the business but I used it as a trade in and received $1000 credit. I was thinking it would be a debit to Capital Contribution but I need the debit to reduce a/p account. What is the correct procedure?:eek:
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 02:53 PM

I've tried to write this 3 times now, but I'm finding questions because I'm not quite sure how you originally recorded it. It's sounding like you recorded the payable for too much since you're wanting to reduce it. If that's the case, then you're either out of balance in your entry or you've made up for that somewhere else that it perhaps doesn't belong.

Let's say the vehicle was $35,000, you gave your personal car as trade in for $1000, you paid $5000 down and that leaves $29,000 for the payable. (Use notes payable, not accounts payable.) A questionable part of this is if you're intentions are to say the $1000 you put in of your own car is to be treated as an investment from you as an owner. That's what it sounds like, so I'm going to go with that. This entry would be:

Dr. Vehicle 35,000
    Cr. Cash 5,000
    Cr. Notes Payable 29,000
    Cr. Capital 1000

You got the vehicle for 34,000, but it's like you invested another 1000 to add to that. It also sounds like the confusion might be in the fact that you'd credit capital, not debit it.

See if you can fit that in with your own numbers. If I've interpreted your intentions incorrectly, or if you don't know how to fix your original entry, then please post that information. You can use my sample numbers if you don't want to say the real ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you "reclassify" money in a Notes Payable account to an Equity Account? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm the bookkeeper for a small, privately owned, company. When the owner originally purchased the company, he borrowed money from Joan (his mom) as well as his personal finances. These loans were booked (in QuickBooks) as two separate Notes Payable. Now the company is going out of business. The...

Accrued interest payable for a note payable [ 2 Answers ]

Allen Corp.'s liability account balances at June 30, 2007 included a 10% note payable in the amount of $2,400,000. The note is dated October 1, 2005 and is payable in three equal annual payments of $800,000 plus interest. The first interest and principal payment was made on October 1, 2006. In...

Bank account seized. Received nationwide checks for claim (in account) can these be e [ 2 Answers ]

Small claims ct. seized bank account. Want to vacate nationwide claim checks for house repair from storm and vandalizim (can these be exempt funds?)

View more questions Search