Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zetablue1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Trouble with Closing Entries
    D=debit, C=credit

This problem started as a worksheet to be completed. Completed that part and the numbers balanced. The next part is E4-3 Worksheet data for Goode Company are presented in E4-2. No common stock was issued during April. Instructions. Prepare an income statement, a retained earnings statement, and a classified balance sheet. What is the significance of no common stock issued?

This is how I calculated net and retained:

Service Revenue C $15,590
    Salaries Expense D 10,840
    Rent Expense D 760
    Depreciation Expense D 671
    Interest Expense D 57
    Total Expenses D 12,328
    Total Revenue C 15,590
    Net income 3,262

Retained Earnings, April 1, $5,960
    Add: Net income, 3,262
    Less: Dividends, 3,650
    Retained Earnings, April 30, 5,572

Balance sheet
    Current assets
    Cash C 13,752
    Accounts receivable C 7,840
    Prepaid Rent C 2,280
    Property, plant and equipment
    Equipment C 23,050
    Less: Acc Depreciation D 4,921
    Total assets 42,001
    Liabilities and Stockholders Equity
    Current liabilities
    Notes payable C 5,700
    Accounts payable C 5,672
    Interest payable C 57
    Total current liabilities 11,429
    Stockholders Equity
    Common stock C 25,000
    Retained Earnings C 5,572
    Total stockholders equity 30,572
    Total liabilities and stockholders equity 42,001

The last part of the problem:

(a) Journalize the closing entries at April 30.
    (b) Post the closing entries to Income Summary and Retained Earnings. Use T accounts.
    (c) Prepare a post-closing trial balance at April 30.

(a). Closing Entries
    Service Revenue D 15,590
    Income Summary C 15,590
    (To close revenue account)
    Income Summary D 12,328
    Salaries Expense C 10,840
    Rent Expense C 760
    Depreciation Expense C 671
    Interest Expense C 57
    (To close expense accounts)
    Income Summary D 3,262
    Retained Earnings C 3,262
    (To close net income to retained earnings)
    Retained Earnings D 3,650
    Dividends C 3,650
    (To close dividends to capital)

(b).
    Totaled all expenses to income summary totaling D 12,328
    D net income 3,262 totaled net and exp equaled service rev C 15,590

To retained earnings D dividends 3,650. Credit net income 3,262 to retained earnings. The difference between these two is 388. This is where my problem lies. When I try to balance the closing trial balance D and C are not equal. Can you tell me where I have gone wrong with this problem?

Closing trial balance
    Cash D 13,752
    Accounts receivable D 7,840
    Equipment D 23,050
    Less: Acc Depreciation C 4,921
    Notes Payable C 5,700
    Accounts payable C 5,672
    Interest payable C 57
    Common stock C 25,000
    Retained earnings C (388)
    Total D 46,922 C 40,962
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 06:31 PM

Please go here and scroll down until you get to the blue statements, for a sample of what your financial statements should look like:
    Principles of Accounting Chapter 4
    Statements are not debits & credits. Debits & credits are done in order to get accounts to an ending balance. The statements are just a reporting of those ending balances, organized in a manner that is easy to read, not by debits & credits. (You also listed all your assets on the balance sheet as credits for unknown reasons.)

Now... the retained earnings should be the 5572 that was the ending balance on the retained earnings statement, and the one that was on the balance sheet.

When you close the accounts, you are closing out net income to retained earnings, which adds to it. That's exactly what you do on the retained earnings statement. Then when you close out dividends to retained earnings, that subtracts from it. Again, exactly what you do on the retained earnings statements. And you end up at 5572.

In essence, the closing entries are doing to the accounts what you just did on the statement.

You never posted your closing entries. You just took the difference between net income and dividends and plugged that into retained earnings, instead of using those to change the RE balance. It already had 5960 in it, and you just dumped that out. Your account should look like the RE statement in terms of the dollar values.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparing adjusting entries and closing entries [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot find any examples about this question on my book or anywhere else Please help.~ The following list includes selected permanent account and all of the temporary accounts from the December 31, 2008, unadjusted trial balance of Emiko Co. a business owned by Kumi Emiko. Use these account...

Adjusting entires, closing entries, post-closing trial balance [ 12 Answers ]

I need to know what an adjusting entry, closing entry, and a post-closing trial balance look like. I will give you the figures of you need them.

Closing entries and post closing trial balance [ 5 Answers ]

Question: The following adjusted trial balance contains the accounts and balances of Cruz Company as of December 31, 2008 the end of its fiscal year. (1) Prepare the December 31, 2008 closing entries for Cruz Company. (2) Prepare the December 31, 2008 Post closing trial balance for cruz Company. ...

Preparing Closing entries & Post Closing Trial Balance [ 1 Answers ]

I don't quite understand how you incorporate the information into these accounts. For instance, you have Capital $9,000; Wage Expenses $8500; Service Revenue $1000; and Rent Expense $1600.

View more questions Search