Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oliech67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Circuit breaker keeps tripping
    I just bought a new townhouse, but one month coming in, I have trouble with my distribution board... one of the circuit breakers 15amp, keeps tripping of late and is affecting my lighting and sockets which I find strange because it seems to me that those two ought to be separate. Could their be an overload in that breaker? Is there a need for me to buy a new breaker with a higher amp? Please help
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 11:58 AM
    No, they should not necessarily be separate.
    NO, by NO means should you replace the breaker with a higher amp one!

What is on or running when the breaker trips?
    Are you in the US?

Sep 4, 2009, 12:03 PM
    I live in canada It is interesting because it happens late in the night even when nothing is plugged in... but on this line I have etried to reduce the usage to a computer, a fridge and of course the lights... what could be wrong when you have very little appliances in the socket

Sep 4, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Does the breaker have a "test" button on it?

Sep 4, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Odd though that the fridge is on with these other things. How old is this condo?

Sep 4, 2009, 12:12 PM

To be honest I am not vast with Canadian system... but I am very conversant with Kenyan/british system... so I have to look for the test button, if I find it, what should I do with it? This townhouses are 15years... yeah I am still miffed at the connection between the lighting circuit and the radial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 3 Answers ]

Our A/C circuit breaker started tripping as the weather got hotter. It got to the point where it would trip after the A/C being on for less than a minute. I reset all the breakers, pulled the filters out of the vents and it continued to trip. The breaker would be very hot when I would check on it....

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

AC Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

My Trane AHU/CU cools great except that twice in the last 2 weeks the circuit breaker has tripped. Both times I have noticed it has got hotter in the house, I go out in the garage and the AHU Blower is blowing but the CU is not running. I check the panel and the circuit breaker is tripped. I reset...

Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 1 Answers ]

We have installed a electrical box on the home that houses a 20 amp fuse w:gfi off the meter, then ran the wires to a outdoor box w: a gfi plug & a on/off switch. Seems to be wired correctly, but the 20 amp fuse keeps tripping. Thank You in Advance for any help, Michael

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

View more questions Search