Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1meanz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 11:42 PM
    How long can a run be on 14-2 in residential wiring
    I'm thinking about wiring my basement, and my panel is out in my garage. Im just wondering if I would have any ill affects with runs of 130-140 feet long on 14-2? My basement will have 2 bedrooms and a family room with all the usual components, tv's, stereos, etc. I will have to run 35-40 ft. just to get into basement. Im no math wizzard, nor an electrician, if this is too far, what is an acceptable run length on 14-2? I just don't want to do it twice, or spend $100 dollars more for 12-2. thank you in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2006, 02:31 AM
    For runs this length,#12 will be well worth the expense. If you want two circuits, look for 4 wire cable with a ground, may be black, red,white, and blue, or white with a tracer.

Use the black and white for one circuit, use the red and the remaining wire for another circuit. This will give two circuits each with their own neutral.

Also, the bedroom circuits will need a Arc Fault circuit breaker, check with local codes, the smoke detector may or may not need to be Arc Fault protected. Each bedroom needs it's own smoke detector, and there needs to be one other smoke in the remaining general area of the basement, and interconnect all the detectors.
    1meanz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Thank you for the information. You have been very helpful. I guess ill go find some #12 and get started.

Thanks again,

Scott
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 31, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Using a 3 conductor cable at 240V and ballancing the two 120V loads, you can go twice as far with the same the same size conductor!

So with a 3C (14-3) you get two circuits, one less conductor (because the neutral is shared) and go twice as far as with 4C. That's pretty simply math and the beauty of multiple circuits (remember though that the bonding wire is not a conductor and is not counted in a cable). So a 3C has 3 insulated conductors (Black and Red for hot and White for neutral) and a bare bond wire.

And, in case you need 240V, you have it!

14-2 at 12A is good for about 80'. 14-3 at 12A is good for 160'. 12-4 at 12A is good for 128'. 14-3 cable is common and cheap like dirt. 12-4 is rarely used and prepare to sell your organs!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a residential boiler system in the house I bought. When I turned on the water supply to the boiler from the water system in the house, the T&P relief valve blew. I am assuming that this is because the water pressure in my household system (approx 70 psi) is too high for the boiler. The T&P...

Square D QO Box good for residential? [ 6 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a Square D QO13040L200G box and a QOM2200VH main breaker to go with it, that he will give me a great deal on. This is a main lug box with the main lug adaptive main breaker. Is this box with the add on main breaker acceptable for residential use? Is there any pros/cons to this...

Residential Wire splicing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to relocate an old receptacle to a new wall location in our house. If I will splice a new wire to the old one and put it in a box, should that box be visible on the wall(with cover plate) or can I just hide the box inside the wall. Thanks.

Accounting homework,operating investing or finance long run [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, First time using this site, I have a homework question in accounting, Which of the 3 types of activities (operating, investing or financing) is the best source of cash for a company in the long run?

Offset in a long run of 3" PVC [ 5 Answers ]

Re-routing my main drain (3" PVC) ...curious what y'all think. would like to do a simple 1/4" : foot drop but there are some things coming out of the wall I can't move (a/c, exhaust, etc). Any harm in putting a couple 90-deg elbows together and dropping it down 6-8", then resuming a normal 1/4"...

View more questions Search