Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Updating - Portable hard drive
    I bought a 160 GB portable hard drive & backed up all my PC info on it in April.I am now going to travel and want to back up whatever work, files, etc that is on my PC now so that means new stuff from April - present and of course changes to files, etc.

I am a novice and I am want to know will it just add what is new or will it re-copy everything all over again and I will have double of everything.
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2009, 05:19 PM

Depends on how you did the back and how you plan on doing it.

Sep 4, 2009, 12:55 PM

This is what I have. I don't remember using any software with it.

Western Digital My Passport Essential 160 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive WDME1600TN (Midnight Black)

Box Contents - My Passport Essential 160GB Portable USB Hard Drive, USB 2.0 cable, Quick Install guide
    160GB Hard Drive Capacity
    Installation is a snap because you don't really install this drive; you just plug it in and it's ready to use. There is no CD to install
    Powered by the USB bus. No separate power supply is needed
    This ultra-portable drive fits easily in your pocket or purse, weighs only a few ounces, and holds tons of valuable data

Sep 4, 2009, 01:09 PM

This doesn't tell me HOW you did your back up. I couldn't find a full description of the drive, but nothing I saw indicates that it does automatic backups. Just plugging the drive in does not do a backup. So you had to do something to backup your internal drive. That's what we need to know.

Sep 4, 2009, 04:55 PM

I did copy and paste
    Thanks

Sep 4, 2009, 05:40 PM

Ok, if you did a copy and paste, then do you have the same folder structure on the external? If so, if you do another copy and paste, it will overwrite duplicates, leave any deleted folders and add new ones.

You should use a backup software utility instead. Windows includes one.

Sep 4, 2009, 05:55 PM

Then do you have the same folder structure on the external? Yes I do

Ok thanks Scott!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Updating MBR [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My hard disk is not working properly. I formatted it with win98. Now I want to update Master Boot Record of it. But I want to know the procedure to Update the MBR.

Cannot access portable hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

I cannot access my Freecom external hard drive, get "File corrupted" message. Is it repairable?

Portable DVD player - portable battery [ 3 Answers ]

We're getting ready to take a long trip (air mostly) with the kids, and have purchased two Sony FX810's for their use. The battery's are new, and in good shape, I let them each use the players ONE day to see how long the life was, and we got about 2 1/2 moves out of them - or roughly 5 hours as...

Portable hard drive not recognised [ 2 Answers ]

I have a desktop and a laptop; an iPod and a portable hard drive. All of them used to work very well since one day (don't know when) they all screwed up. My laptop: doesn't recognise my iPod nor the portable hardrive. My desktop: only recognise my iPod and portable hard drive sometimes...

View more questions Search