Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LDawydiak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Month to month tenancy in California and correct notice to vacate
    Tenant is a holdover and his tenancy is now month to month, with the rent being due on the first. Tenant gave us notice on August 31, to vacate on October 3. We believe that since he's a monthly tenant, not a daily tenant, if he wants to stay beyond October 1st, then he owes us money for the whole month. He argues that he has given us more than the minimum 30 days notice by giving us 34 days notice, so he wants to stay at a prorated amount. What's the correct thing to do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 03:37 PM

Legally he's a month-to-month tenant and owes you for the month of October if he stays one minute beyond the end of September.

If you are able to rent the apartment for part of the month of October you can collect twice (once from him and once from the new tenant) and you will have to repay your current tenant a portion of the rent.

Your tenant cannot simply convert the terms of the lease (monthly) to daily. Did he pay more or less if the month was 30 days or 31? Of course not. Same thing here.

It's a new month - he doesn't pay by the day. He pays by the month. He owes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2009, 03:38 PM

Your tenant is correct!

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post

I stand corrected - Scott is correct as far as California Law is concerned.

My apologies -
    LDawydiak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Thank you. I came to the same conclusion as ScottGem. It's not that big of a deal, except that we are eager to rent this place and, you know how it is, new tenants will want to move in on the first. I had hoped that the tenant would be cooperative, but I guess now. AND, after being difficult, he wants a nice referral!
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LDawydiak View Post
    Thank you. I came to the same conclusion as ScottGem. It's not that big of a deal, except that we are eager to rent this place and, you know how it is, new tenants will want to move in on the first. I had hoped that the tenant would be cooperative, but I guess now. AND, after being difficult, he wants a nice referral!

I don't think landlords can win in general but I find California Law to be almost beyond my grasp - amazing! Seems like the landlord is the loser in this situation - how can you rent an apartment with a starting date X number of days past the 1st.

But very good catch on Scott's part and I sure have learned something!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LDawydiak View Post
    , after being difficult, he wants a nice referral!
    Tell him his referral depends on how much you lose because you can't rent the unit starting 10/1
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 01:20 PM

Just goes to show how wild CA laws can be. You can rent the unit on or after October 3rd, no need to wait until November but you'll have a hard time finding someone who is able to move midmonth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Notice to vacate & month to month form [ 3 Answers ]

Our lease is up 12/31/08, and we are moving out of the apartment complex in 2009. A caregiver took me to the leasing office on 12/10/08 to give our 30 day notice to move. I I was told that we had to give a 60 day notice by the 1st of the month, so that made our vacate date pushed out to...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

Notice of Termination for Month To Month tenancy - Virginia [ 22 Answers ]

Hello all, We have been renting this unit from a landlord who is giving us a bit of trouble. We signed the lease on June 2006 and the lease ended on June 2007 so now it’s month-to-month. On March 31, 2007 the landlord sent us a greeting card that the rent will not be raised. Here are her...

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

View more questions Search