Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodyGuy Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 02:13 PM

Kiss,

Not sure I want to spend that kind of cash just to run this motor.

I will try what was discussed earlier and let you know.

BTW Harold, I did get an answer to your suggestion about going to Leeson for wiring connections.

How do you determine which way or from which direction to know the CW or CCW rotation of the motor?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 02:30 PM

The thermal overload in the motor is probably fine.

Harold said the connections are on the motor, which they are. They are also on the document that I posted a while back. Just the direction is wrong. Need to use the high voltage CCW wiring.

I did say USUALLY it is determined when facing the motor shaft. It's not always true though. I can back out the right connections for 230 because I know the 115 connections. You do too on the motor nameplate.

Sep 8, 2009, 02:56 PM
    This PDF is what I got from the Leeson Electric Rep.

Please take a look and help me to wire this motor properly so
    I can use it in my garage?

Tablesaw_MOTOR-005067.pdf[ATTACH]
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 04:04 PM

Use Hi Volt C.W. on the diagram. They reference the rotation as Lead end (Where the wires come out).

L1 and L2 are Line #1 and Line #2 and they go to the switch. Note that P1 stays the same. That was probably your black wire.

T4 and T8 are tied together and go to the switch. (was T2,T4,T8)
    The other side of the switch stays the same. (black?)

T2, T3 and T5 get joined together. i.e. P2 gets removed and replaced with T2

P2 is left over and it just gets capped.

Sep 8, 2009, 04:58 PM
    So I shouldn't add a new 1P, 20AMP w/12AWG with a dedicated outlet to be able to run it properly?

BTW, I extended a cord to my laundry room where the 1P, 20AMP is located and the table saw motor didn't trip it...

I have the duplex outlet and wire, just need the breaker(cash is very tight now). Same amount of work here for either.

I know that at 80% of 125/115 the FLA will be 16.3 or so, but isn't that only at the start point?
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 05:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ;
    So I shouldn't add a new 1P, 20AMP w/12AWG with a dedicated outlet to be able to run it properly?
    Running a dedicated line would be preferred as above. 240 is preferred. Means less heat, less wear and tear.

BTW, I extended a cord to my laundry room where the 1P, 20AMP is located and the table saw motor didn't trip it...
    Finally getting somewhere.

I have the duplex outlet and wire, just need the breaker(cash is very tight now). Same amount of work here for either.
    Understand that. If that's a dedicated laundry circuit, you can pigtail the garage circuit and the laundry circuit until you get the $ for a breaker. I see where 240 V will cost you more up front.

I know that at 80% of 125/115 the FLA will be 16.3 or so, but isn't that only at the start point?
    You mean 125/115 * 15 = 16.3 A; slightly higher voltage, slightly higher current thus wire size must be 12 AWG. The 16.3 A is at at 1.5 HP and 125 V and it's a guess.

It's not a continuous load (expected to be on for 3 hrs or more at a time) so the 80% stuff doesn't apply.

The higher the current, the higher the heat generated in the contacts of say the thermal switch the power switch, the plug/socket. P (watts) = I^2*R so it's more important to keep contact resistance low. There is a big difference between 15^2 and 7.5^2. R will likely be in the milliohm range.

That's why 240 makes more sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire 1ph 208-230v outlet [ 4 Answers ]

Have to wire outlet for commercial freezer unit. Needs 1ph 208-230v. Plug is 15A/250V. Do I run 2 "hot" leads from same phase and one N/G to round pin? Not sure how you get 208-230 from one phase? Thanks - SM

Changing 110v outlet for a 230v [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I bougt a air conditioner with a 230v cord and I want to change el double outlet in my wall for a one outlet of 230 volt can I do it? I hope that I explain myself OK!

Benefit of bldc motor compare with pmsm motor or blac motor [ 1 Answers ]

in the name of god hi every body what is benefit of brush less dc motor and brush less ac motor. And when we use bldc and when blac? What is different of them? I know that bldcs have trapezial emf and blacs have sin emf.

Wiring an outlet for 230V welder? [ 7 Answers ]

My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled...

Installing a 230v electircal switch [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a 230 volt, 30 amp, electrical switch on a power washer power supply. I have triped the breaker many time with the installation I performed. I am looking for a schematic on how this switch should be wired properly. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search