Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nguard Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 06:36 AM
    First time Home owner credit
    MY fiancé and I are looking to purchase a home prior to dec1 2009. We are interested in the 8k credit, however... I currently own a home, my fiancé does not. We are intending to put the new home in her name only... Our current wedding is Nov 28... if we close before the wedding will she be entitled to the full credit? I've read that spouses can be excluded from the credit as the IRS considers both spouses home ownership history... thank you
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 05:30 AM

If you get married in 2009, then she can not get credit on 2009 tax return.
    She can file 2008 amended tax return to claim the credit if she purchases before marriage.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 05:45 AM
    The option to amend the 2008 return to get a credit is available ONLY IF the purchase is complete by 1 July 2009.

I disagree with the other part: she CAN claim the credit based on her home ownership history on the 2009 tax return, but the credit will be for ONOY $4,000.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 09:59 AM

This is from the IRS web site First-Time Homebuyer Credit: Scenarios
    S1. If a single person (Taxpayer A) qualifies as a first-time homebuyer at the time he/she purchases a home with someone (Taxpayer B) that is not a first-time homebuyer and then later that year they marry each other, is the credit still allowed?

A. Eligibility for the first-time homebuyer credit is determined on the date of purchase. If Taxpayer A, a first-time homebuyer, buys a house and then later that year marries Taxpayer B, not a first-time homebuyer, the credit is allowable to Taxpayer A. Taxpayer A may take the maximum credit.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Changed Position
    That is not the relevant question; the Q/A below is, which requires that I change my position and state that the OP cannot claim the credit if they are married when the purchase is made:

S4. If husband and wife wanted to sell the home that the wife owned when they got married, and the husband had not owned a home within the past three years, could he qualify as a first-time homebuyer for the credit even though the wife would not qualify?

A. No. The purchase date determines whether a taxpayer is a first-time homebuyer. Since the wife had ownership interest in a principal residence within the prior three years, neither taxpayer may take the first-time homebuyer credit. Section 36(c)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code requires that the taxpayer and the taxpayer's spouse not have an ownership interest in a principal residence within the prior three years from the date of purchase. The husband may not take the credit even if he filed on a separate return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to use first time home buyer tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I just purchased my first home and am getting the $8K tax credit. I know many people are saying to use the majority of the credit to pay down the principal and get interest savings. However, I plan to sell in 5 or 6 years, so if I do not stay until the mortgage is paid off, I will not see an...

Tax credit for 1st time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé has never purchased a house so we would like to take advantage of the $8000 1st time homebuyer tax credit. I however own a home. Does he need to buy our next home without me on the title? Can I be a co-signer for the loan even if I am not put on the title? Can we be married? (Our...

First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit [ 5 Answers ]

I was wanting to get opinions on the First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit. I've looked over the website and it looks to be just a loan from the government. I was wondering if any one has heard more about this. Like, do you think there would be long term problems from taking this or is it a good...

1st time home owner w/potential judgment [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently got married and we are in the process of applying for a mortgage. We are both first time home buyers. We are appling for the mortgage jointly, however after the loan officer ran our credit it appeared that I had a judgment on one of my credit reports. Only one of the...

Help! 1st time home (condo) owner with seeping toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the other postings and could not find one specifically on this issue and the questions about wax rings. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo, for only about 6 months. When the main drain of the building gets clogged by the neighbors (like with papertowels or grease most...

View more questions Search