Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 2, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Need your opinions on a letter to become an eagle scout
    I am in the final stages of becoming an eagle scout an I have to write a short essay. Do you mind checking it for any major errors? Do I answer the question fully? I'd ask a family member, but I get embarrassed when close people read things about me, so thanks in advance! The question I'm answering is:

"Type a statement of your ambitions and life purpose, including a paragraph or two telling about the poitions you have held in your religious institution, school, camp, community, or other organizations during which you demonstrated leadership skills. "

As I begin to fill out job applications, college applications, and scholarship applications, I am continuously being asked: where do I want to go in life, and how have I tried to get myself on the right track to complete my goals. At first glance, I think to myself, I do not know what to write here as I have not done anything heroic or achieved anything that is worthy of mentioning. However, as I think about my childhood and experiences, numerous things come to mind. My life purpose is to become a police officer and to help people in need. Since the age of 6, I remember telling my parents’ that I will be a future law enforcer. Many kids change their ideal profession as they grow older, I did not. I hope to one day be promoted to canine unit, and then from there be invited to join the Federal Bureau of Investigations.

I am taking difficult courses in school so that I will be prepared to become a police officer. Many students take the easy way through high school, taking easy classes, whether it is to get higher grades or less homework. I on the other hand, take the difficult classes so that I can compete with other students who want to succeed in life.

Leadership is a key characteristic in an Eagle Scout or in anyone who wants to succeed, and I feel I have exhibited this characteristic numerously. From saying no to drugs to paying my own bills, I feel that I exhibit leadership. Instead of being a follower, I do as I want in order to achieve my goals. Last year I was a member of driven club, teen court, worked at big boy, and participated in Skills USA this year all while maintaining a 3.4 GPA. Instead of being just someone in the backgrounds, I was a lawyer in teen court and had to defend an actual person who committed an actual crime. With Skills USA, I was a police officer part of a CSI team and had to do as a real CSI team would do. Although we failed to make it to nationals, we did succeed in making it to regionals.

Furthermore, I often show leadership with issues that arise in the family. When we are short on money, I give money to purchase food or gas. When something needs to be done, such as organizing the basement, or cleaning the kitchen, I step up to the task.
    I feel everyone has an experience or motto they live by, and I try to live by one motto which is doing at least one good deed daily. Sometimes it is something as big as returning a purse to someone or giving my old clothes to a stranger. To simply helping a fellow student pick up their supplies that they dropped on the way to class.
    titan101 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Too many I's in this essay. Essay's are not supposed to have I's in them, so you can replace them with something else, also the intro needs to be shorter, and much more concise. Other than that this essay is pretty good.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Sep 2, 2009, 10:34 PM

I had my husband look over it real quick, who is an eagle scout, and he said it looked fine to him. The people you send it to aren't terribly harsh about it. At least that's what he said. I don't know if that's of any help to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why Are Double Eagle Coins Called "Double Eagle"? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi! That is my question. Thanks!

Why does scout say their peace ended? [ 4 Answers ]

:mad: even though dill gets permission to stay in maycomb why does scout say their peace ended after a week

Who places the treasures in the hole in the tree for Jem and Scout [ 4 Answers ]

Who places the “treasures” in the hole in the tree for Jem and Scout

Relationship between Jem n Scout [ 2 Answers ]

In 'To kill a mocking bird',what is the relationship between Jem and Scout and how it changes with time?

Eagle Scout Gift [ 4 Answers ]

I have been invited to a ceremony for a co-worker's son who has attained the rank of eagle scout. There will be the ceremony and then a dinner at the local church immediately following ceremony. What is the appropriate gift to give the young man, who I don't know very well.

View more questions Search