Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newlywed801 Posts: 27, Reputation: 5

Sep 8, 2009, 12:50 PM

I make biscuits often but they never turn out just right one time I made it it tasted like it had too much flower and the next time to crumblely LOL I can't get it at the happy middle

The recipe I have been using was

2 cups of flower(I use all purpose so I don't need baking powder)
    4 Tablespoons of butter or shortening (I use shortening)
    1 1/2 tsp of salt
    And about 3/4 cups of milk

I mix it up with my hands and then roll it out then cut it out and put it in a greased pan and cook it at 400 degrees and cook it 12-15 min

And I just can't get them to turn out right
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 01:59 PM
    My wife (Cat1864) is much better at biscuits. I'll leave this one for her.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newlywed801 View Post
    i make biscuits often but they never turn out just right one time i made it it tasted like it had to much flower and the next time to crumblely LOL i can't get it at the happy middle

the recipe i have been using was

2 cups of flower(i use all purpose so i dont need baking powder)
    4 Tablespoons of butter or shortening (i use shortening)
    1 1/2 tsp of salt
    and about 3/4 cups of milk

i mix it up with my hands and then roll it out then cut it out and put it in a greased pan and cook it at 400 degrees and cook it 12-15 min

and i just can't get them to turn out right
    I put a recipe above. I think the problem with yours is that it doesn't use anything like paking powder. Try mine. I make it all the time and it always comes out good, and it's easy. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newlywed801 View Post
    i make biscuits often but they never turn out just right one time i made it it tasted like it had to much flower and the next time to crumblely LOL i can't get it at the happy middle

the recipe i have been using was

2 cups of flower(i use all purpose so i dont need baking powder)
    4 Tablespoons of butter or shortening (i use shortening)
    1 1/2 tsp of salt
    and about 3/4 cups of milk

i mix it up with my hands and then roll it out then cut it out and put it in a greased pan and cook it at 400 degrees and cook it 12-15 min

and i just can't get them to turn out right
    Just to make sure: You are using Self-Rising All-Purpose flour?

The self-rising flour is the one that has baking powder, etc. in it. Plain all-purpose flour is straight flour without the baking additives. (Someday I may share how I learned that they are now packaging Self-rising Flour as All-purpose Self-rising Flour. :) )

One thing that can make biscuits hard is over-working the dough by mixing or kneading too much. Unlike yeast bread doughs that need the work-out, quick breads like biscuits like a gentle hand.

It sounds like you may be using the "rub in" method for adding the shortening. I like the "cut in" method of using two knives or a pastry cutter to add it. I tend to over-work the dough using the "rub in" method.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    (Someday I may share how I learned that they are now packaging Self-rising Flour as All-purpose Self-rising Flour. :) )
    It's my fault, she sent me to the store. It said All-Purpose... it did.
    newlywed801 Posts: 27, Reputation: 5

Sep 23, 2009, 08:12 PM

Yeah it is self rising and I am pretty sure that I was working my dough too much and what I did that has help me out some was take some of the flower out of the measuring cup before mixing my dough up and you it to work it in instead of adding more flower I think when I added more flower when I was rolling them out I ended up adding too much
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 08:22 PM
    Sounds like your learning. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is pressure cooker [ 8 Answers ]

How does a pressure cooker work ? Explain why the time to cook something is so much shorter

Cooker plate is too hot [ 4 Answers ]

Dear All, I have an electronic cooker plate (hob) installed (Candy PVS 640 RX). The problem is that when I cook on it, I can't adjust it's heat, or it is very-very fast. In theory it could be adjusted ungradually. Any idea? Is it a failure at all? Thank you in advance, Peter

Cooker point extension [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, first time here so be gentle please. If, say, we had a cooker plate and switch in the wrong place and wanted to move them about 1 metre. Can we extend the cabling, or do we need to go back to the consumer unit with one continuous run? The former would be the easiest by far,...

Rice Cooker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a National Rice Cooker Model SR-GE18N, Last week , the displace show (H3),and all function stop, seems have some code to lock all functon, I worder any body have the same problem or any solution. Thanks

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

View more questions Search