Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vickerssmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Can't connect digital optical audio cable
    Hello,

I have just bought a 37" Panasonic Plasma TV with a home entertainment system also Panasonic that included the DVD player, two tall speakers and 4 extra speaker. I can get sound out of them while playing a DVD but not from just the TV.

The guy in the shop said in order to listen to a TV show through the speakers we would need an extra lead so we bought belkin digital optical audio cable, the user guide for the DVD player says to put one end in the optical out slot(which is on the back of the DVD player) and the other end in the back of the TV, which should be optical in.

Now I hope I don't sound blonde here but there just doesn't seem anywhere for it to go in the back of the TV? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
    For optical cables, there may be a cover over the jack that needs to be removed first. Please post the model of the TV and/or system so the connectivity options available on that model can be verified. If it was an integrated system, it is reasonable to expect jacks would exist for all the possible hookup combinations, however this isn't always the case. If you bought the "system" as a series of components, the TV may not have an optical input. Typically, signals from all the components are first run into a receiver which is used to manage the audio/video inputs and outputs. If your system includes a receiver, follow the instructions for that. The instructions for individual components like the DVD player may be limited to that particular device's perspective for connection to other components, like directly to a TV, which may not be applicable for your specific setup.
    vickerssmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 03:00 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for your response.

There doesn't seem to be a jack on it. The TV is Panasonic-TX-P37X10
    dvd home cinema system SC-PT175
    I just don't understand as the guide for the dvd shows a diagram for this lead going from the dvd player to the TV,it just doesn't show the back of the TV. I can't understand as they are both Panasonic why there isn't anywhere to put it. Is there any other way to link it all up so that the TV sound can go through the speakers.

Thanks
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 05:23 PM
    The TX-P37X10 Operating Instructions do not indicate an optical connector is present on this TV model. The instructions only show RCA style left and right audio connectors (page 10). Panasonic's site turned up the SC-PT665 (?) manual for the SC-PT175 home theatre system which shows audio connection on page 7 through the RCA style AUX connectors. Using a HDMI cable looks like it might be possible too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digital Cable Modulation [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone... it's been a while... I need to know if anyone knows the answer to this before I spend the money on it... I would like to eliminate channel 11 from my cable system in my house and replace it with a signal from another source. (That's no problem, I know how to do that.) We...

Connecting digital cable box to vcr/dvd player [ 1 Answers ]

I just upgraded to a digital cable box and now I can't record with my vcr. I have a vcr/dvd player combo. The cable company tells me that I can only record the station that I'm watching. Obviously, that defeats the purpose. So how do I connect these things so that I can be watching one station,...

Digital Cable/ DVD/VCR/ TV Hook up [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble view my dvd/vcr. I think I have it hooked up correctly but can't see any picture at all. I have a Toshiba SD-V291 for the dvd/vcr and the TV is a Samsung TXJ2066. And the Digital Cable Box is an Explorer 2200. I don't even know what channel the digital cable should be on....

Hooking up dvd/vcr recorder to a TV with digital cable [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to hook up a dvd/vcr(Pioneer) recorder to a digital cable box with a Panasonic lcd TV.

Finalizing digital audio cd-r's [ 9 Answers ]

How do i finalize digital audio cd-r's so that i can burn a record to cd on a phonograph to cd burner model teac gf-350 multi music player/cd recorder?

View more questions Search