Ask
    thyroid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 05:48 PM
    How to prime a sprinkler pump
    How to prime a sprinkler pump
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 06:04 PM

Turn off the breaker. Remove the plug (possibly pressure gauge) at the top of the pump. Add water until it overflows. Turn breaker back on.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 06:14 PM

Post a pic of your pump and we will take it from there. Also, a little more info about your system, what kind of pump, where is the water being drawn from, etc etc.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 09:48 AM

Go here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...mp-330474.html
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 09:50 AM

No offense intended, but why would you need a picture of his pump and need to know where water was being drawn from? If it needs priming, wouldn't it have to be a jet pump?
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 1, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Not all are the same and no, it doesn't have to be a jet pump.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thyroid View Post
    how to prime a sprinkler pump
    Most pumps are primed from a small threaded hole on top of the impeller cage. This opening will have a threaded plug that must be removed. Shut the pump off and fill the impeller cage until it over flows. The water should remain in the cage and not flow out. Replace the plug and turn the pump back on. If you can't contain the water in the impeller cage then give a hard look at the check valve. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    No offense intended, but why would you need a picture of his pump and need to know where water was being drawn from? If it needs priming, wouldn't it have to be a jet pump?
    Just wanted a pic of pump so we could tell them easiest place to prime. Where water is being drawn from,, if intake pipe is very long, priming the pump once may not do the trick, as it will start to suck air again shortly. Ive found on some systems you have to actually run the pump while priming until you get a good head of water, then slap the plug in quickly. Just some experiences I've run into with priming jets pumps. No offense taken, good question actually. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can same sprinkler pump serve as wet riser pump? [ 2 Answers ]

In a high riser building of about 100m height, a dry riser system is not visible as the firemen's vehicle can't pump water up to 100m. As such, av decided to have it as Wet riser. At same time I don't want introduce a separate pump to avoid over bloating of project cost. My sprinkler system must...

How do I prime the pump [ 6 Answers ]

I recently broke my irriagation pipes to my lawn watering system... I have them all reppaired how do I prime the pump.. it just runs no water coming out Bob

Can't get new well pump to prime [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Our less than 4 month old well pump lost it's prime, ran until it burned out... So we put in a new pump... this one will not prime... water coming into house is coming in at a very low amount in kitchen... farthest from well... hearing some air and sputter form bathroom spigot... next...

Sprinkler pump is losing its prime [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all... my sprinkler pump is losing its prime on a daily basis. I have a newly sodded lawn and need to water daily. Could it be the check valve causing this? The check valve has been rattling lately when the sprinklers are on. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated. THanks.

View more questions Search