Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tufftts69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Bank accounts frozen, is this way legal?
    Ok, I found out more about the ex's bank account being frozen..

He got a summons taped to MY door around May of 2006 that he just noticed was date stamped April 2006 received..
    It said he had 10 or 30 days to "answer" depending on how he was served.. He didn't recognize the name of the plaintiff as anyone he had ever done business with, so he didn't answer.. he didn't know that he should have sent a debt validation letter then, we just found that all out now..

No correspondence or contact from anyone after that at all of any kind until the bank account was frozen on October 18 or 19..

Nothing was ever sent to him at any address about any judgement being granted, default or otherwise.. or anything about this alleged debt even..

The bank, when he went there, instead of giving him a copy of papers that they received telling them to freeze the account, gave him a name and phone number of the person that froze his account.. then said he would receive paper in the mail within 10 days..

He called city court that had stamped the summons, and they said "yes we have something on file for you".. That's it. No help.. No dates, names, not even an acknowledgement as to what this something on file WAS... They did not say that a judgement was granted even..

He called the name he was given and they said that they could freeze the account because they bought an old credit card debt, that now was up to $1000.58 and they were taking his bank account to pay the judgement.. He asked them WHO the original credited was and they said it had changed hands a few times, but that they THOUGHT it was ______.. He told them that that account had been closed by him long ago and that it had been a credit card with a limit of $250, which he had a lot of problems with due to them never using the disability insurance money to pay the payments.. He had ever only charged $75.00 on this account himself, as it was one of the ones that send it to you after they take processing fees, rush order fess, etc out first!
    After a few payments he went out on disability and they would not let him use the ins they had talking him into getting.. So he closed the account and told them to get the money back from the disability ins payments he had made, since he had already paid them in full basically 2 X.. They just kept adding on fees after he disputed...

They asked him how much was in the account and his SS number ( both of which he found out later that they already knew)and said they would look into his claim that he was on unemployment and that that was the money in the account.. He has NOT heard from them since, even though they said they would call him back on Saturday...

NOW On October 21st, he got letter from the people that froze his account, stating that judgement was ENTERED on September 21,2006.. The letter was dated October 15th, postmarked October 18th. No other noification was ever sent or served...

It stated that execution of judgement would commence shortly, if it had not already, and that they would be taking steps to guaranshee paycheck and or bank accounts..

Wasn't someone supposed to notify him that the judgement was granted, and then give him 30 days from then to either pay the judgent in full or make some kind of payment arrangements? Then, if he didn't respond or pay, execute the judgement?

the bank just used the copy of the above letter and an information supoena to freeze his account.. What should he do about all this?? :confused:

Also? The bank keeps taking charges out of the account, now its down to $120.00, what can this collector go after next?
    He owns nothing, liens are on his boat and car, and moves from relatives house to relatives house, just uses my addy as mailing addy.. Unemployment they cannot touch..

These people have a very shady rep and are known to file the wrong paperwork... is there any loopholes that anyone can see?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2006, 11:43 AM
    They must have a judgment before they can freeze and account. File motion to quash garnishment, File Motion to defend in the court, NOW!!
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 26, 2006, 11:47 AM
    I FULLY agree with Mr. Yet

Get a lawyer, and if the bank has a bad rep try to get in touch with anyone else who has a problem with them before, should this go to trial any other of their 'skeletons' might help out with your case.
    tufftts69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 11:56 AM
    The bank didn't have the bad rep, the firm that froze the bank account does.. They are known for shady dealings, and filing wrong paperwork..

What I need to know is, was the court supposed to notify him that a default judgement was made, so that he could make payment arrangements weithin 30 days of that Sept 21st date? If that is the case, they never notified him, the bank just froze his account on the law firms word.
    Someone should be able to stop this and give him a chance to pay it on his own if he should have been given prior notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing Bank Accounts [ 8 Answers ]

I had a few questions about garnishing bank accounts. My friend is a lawyer but only started her practice this year, so I would like another opinion since I'm reading several different things on here. Can a TN judgement garnish your bank account in another state? My friend stated that they...

Estate bank accounts [ 12 Answers ]

I ‘m trying to help a love one. They need to open estate bank accounts for a late brother’s estate. They are the volunteer administrator of estate. The only thing in the brother’s estate was about $2200.00. They have withdrawn the money from his account. I was told that they need to open an estate...

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Bank Account frozen on Unemployment [ 6 Answers ]

Information needed.. My estranged husband just found out that his bank account has been frozen due to a judgement awarded to Cohen and Slamowitz, that he didn't even realize was happening.. The only funds in there at the moment are unemployment benefits.. I already know that in NYS they...

Freezing Bank Accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, When freezing a bank acount is it legal to freeze joint bank accounts in NY State?

View more questions Search