Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nonogreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Cleaning exterior of a brick house
    I just had a new brick house built. The contractor did a poor job on cleaning it. I guess there is residue from the mortar. How do I clean it?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 01:39 AM

The best way to clean that is to get the Builder back to clean it or hold the finial payment and hire someone to clean it ans subtract that from finial payment. Also pay yourself a little for your time.

The two products to clean brick is muriatic acid or Shurkleen. Muriatic acid reacts to brick if there's iron in it. The you need to use ShureKleen brick detergent.

The best method and its slower is to use acid full strength a dense sponge and clean each brick , don't get the acid on any mortar joints

The other method is mix acid 3 parts water to 1 part acid. Pre wet wall with water hose. Use a stiff scrub brush. Dip in bucket and scrub. Rinse thoroughly. AT all times try not to let the acid dry and suck into the brick and joints. Keep walls wet until all is rinsed well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing exterior brick. [ 7 Answers ]

We are currently trying to sell my great uncle's home. The foundation is fine but the exterior brick has settled about 1-2inches. We have looked into hiring a contractor to jack the brick up, but we're worreid about cracking. Our estimates have been between $14-18,000. So, instead... could we...

How To Remove Paint From Exterior Brick [ 6 Answers ]

About a week ago, I painted the back brick wall of our 6 year old home a shade of blue. We used latex paint. Our Home Owners Association has advised us this is not allowed and is asking us to remove the paint. After Googling the options, the prospect is looking grim. Everyone is telling us it...

Exterior brick cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

What ia the best product to clean the outside of a a red brick home?

Wash/Clean Mildewed Brick House Exterior [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean a mildewy brick house exterior? I have a pressure washer, garden hose, and tank sprayer. I was hoping to get by without buying much more additional equipment. I expect to have to buy a brush for stubborn stains, but what is best and value-conscious for the project? ...

Exterior brick cleaning (white powder like) [ 2 Answers ]

How would we clean our brick on the exterior of our home, it has a white powderdy substance on it, but water alone is not removing it. The brick is about 100 years old. THanks so much

View more questions Search