Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bramble Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2003, 02:54 PM
    Mice
    What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 20, 2003, 12:00 AM
    Mice
    Here is my way of doing it.
    Buy some strong metal mesh, a strong wall stapler and, plaster.

Carefully go through your whole house or apartment stapling the mesh wherever there is a hole big enough for mice. Then place plaster over it.

Actually, the mesh itself should be strong enough to stop the critters. I did this and haven't seen a mouse in years! Before that they had very convenient entrances.

I have also placed sharp knives aiming in in some crevasses to discourage attempts at entrance.
    xchrisx Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2004, 01:20 PM
    Mice
    I found that a mouse trap with a sunflower seed or two wedged tightly in the area you would put cheese works awesome. They seem to love sunflower seeds. And if you wedge them in tight, they can't sneek off with the food.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2004, 05:22 PM
    Mice
    If you follow starman's advice, you will also exclude a bunch of cold air in winter and moisture year around. Caulk narrow cracks. That will keep cold air out, and discourage gnawing them wider. I simply glued pieces of light metal over their holes. I cut up scraps from the trim on the house. We haven't had any mice for years.

A few years ago, I saw some no kill traps you might want to use at Wal-Mart. They were just a clear plastic box with a swinging door at one end. Hinge side up, and the mouse can push it up and go in for the cheese, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, etc. Once past it, is swings shut, and the mouse can't pull it open. Take it outside and turn it over, and the door falls open. You could even stand back and turn it over with a stick.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2005, 03:01 PM
    I have also had some luck with the sonic pest control... I also use traditional traps with peanut butter.
    jj2546 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 04:11 PM
    Another trick I have found that works is taking steel wool and putting it around pipes and in any hole you find, steel wool is very cheap and it is easy to work with
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Apr 9, 2005, 11:22 PM
    Mice
    Good advice JJ2546 Steel wool does a excellent job keeping out mice. Remember the number one rule in preventing mice from entering your home is.
    Exclusion!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mice! [ 26 Answers ]

Okay folks, I know someone has an answer to this. I am having a problem with mice. They scare the bejezuz out of me. I can handle most anything, but they are fast and they have tails!! :eek: I have a two story house on a slab, all my food is in storage containers, house is always clean. I have...

Mice in ceiling of semi-detached house [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. I am a new owner of a semi-detached house. I have heard very occasional skittering in my living-room ceiling and suspect mice. I have looked both on the outside and inside the house, but can find no obvious entry point. Could the mice be in the walls and/or coming in...

Mice [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

View more questions Search