Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treyce Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Skin Lightening Pills: Do they work and How Long does it take to show results?
    Hello... Im Treyce, a Media Anchorperson and of Indian descent... I am looking for an effective skin whitening product to help me even out my dull skintone and give me a brighter/lighter and more radiant complexion.

I recently (3 months exactly) been rigidly taking a particular brand's Whitening Pills 3 times a day and have not seen any significant improvement over the period. Can u tell me if these pills are at all effective for skin lightening and if so, then how long before can I notice any significant results?

When I ordered these pills, they came with very good testimonials and confident assurances by the company staff... but I am skeptical right now... Do brands matter? Or are they all the same, if purchased directly from the website source itself?

Please advise me on the subject and tell me if there are any other all-over skin lightening products/medication that really works?

Thanks
    lilgreg1 Posts: 171, Reputation: 12

Aug 31, 2009, 12:08 PM

If you could provide me with the key ingredients, or how the provider claims these pills work, it'll give us a better chance of finding out how effective they really are.

On a side note however, "skin lightening pills" never have a good reputation, as most of them (such as glutathione pills) are not absorbed by the body properly, and do not work as expected. Just because you digest something does not mean that it will affect your skin. Most of the time the body excretes it upon entering your digestive system.

Aug 31, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Thanks for your reply, lilgreg... but the pills have Gluathione 500mg, Vitamin C&E, Lipoic Acid and Grape Seed Extract... The manufacturers claim that it's a genuine product and a super whitening formula.

Can you advise me of any other more effective and quick results product for all over skin whitening.

Thanks

Aug 31, 2009, 12:32 PM

I'd stay away from Glutathione pills. They haven't worked for the majority of people, including yourself; that being said, they have very little evidence of being absorbed by the body properly.

Anyhow, for best results, use something that directly affects the skin. Tyrosinase inhibitors are proven methods, and have worked for 9 out of 10 people. Some include: Alpha Arbutin, Kojic Acid, and licorice root. For even faster results, you'll have to figure out what works best for you, and examine how sensitive your skin is; you'll be prompted to use extracts of Monobenzone for some results, but keep safety in mind at all times.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 03:14 PM
    What do you think about the MSM Sulfur pills from Thienna Ho? I have mixed thoughts with this and quite skeptical because it seems as though the only one who is getting great results is Thienna herself... doc or no doc.

Aug 31, 2009, 03:44 PM

MSM Sulfur pills, like Glutathione pills, try to give you an increased amount of a substance, or raise your body's production. In this case, it's sulfur, which people claim benefit your health and in turn affect your melanin production.

I have no idea whether this works, (sulfur's effect), but from what I can see, it's simply a theory that sulfur works just as other antioxidants towards a healthier body. (And once again, the myth is that good health and diet means less melanin.)

Some people seem to spend a lot of money on these things, but my advice to them would be to stick to things that are scientifically AND directly proven, and aren't composed of "multiple ingredients that somehow work together in a compound lotion/cream/pill to promote lighter skin". (That goes for digested material too. If people really wanted or believed that 200% increase in sulfur == lighter skin, then they may as well feast on a diet composed of raw onions, garlic, and shallots.)
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Lmao... a diet composed of raw onions, garlic, and shallots.. well said, I doubt much luck there. I seriously doubt the myth about good health and diet means less melanin, that is a gimmick line advertisers use. I believe a healthier diet can of course help aide you to overall health, but fairer skin? Hmm... dark skin can also be healthy skin.

Aug 31, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgreg1 View Post
    I'd stay away from Glutathione pills. They haven't worked for the majority of people, including yourself; that being said, they have very little evidence of being absorbed by the body properly.

Anyhow, for best results, use something that directly affects the skin. Tyrosinase inhibitors are proven methods, and have worked for 9 out of 10 people. Some include: Alpha Arbutin, Kojic Acid, and licorice root. For even faster results, you'll have to figure out what works best for you, and examine how sensitive your skin is; you'll be prompted to use extracts of Monobenzone for some results, but keep safety in mind at all times.
    Hello Lilgreg...

I do understand that the pills are proving to have negligible effects on my skin tone... However, I have stocked a 6 months supply of the pills... Should I continue with the pills u think.. Do they have any positive effect at all? Are they beneficial as a diet supplement at its very least?

I do read about creams and lotions with the substances you have mentioned as helpful but really don't know about the product efficacy... Can u recommend a particular product/brand I can order on the net that has proven its worth... I am looking for complexion as well as overall, full body lightening... recommend.

:confused:
    dessaml Posts: 210, Reputation: 9

Sep 1, 2009, 01:14 AM
    Glutathione pills do not get aborbed in the body orally because the stomach acid destroys it. If you want the benefits of it you need it through an IV

Sep 1, 2009, 02:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dessaml View Post
    Glutathione pills do not get aborbed in the body orally because the stomach acid destroys it. If you want the benefits of it you need it through an IV
    How much of the IVs will I need to take and for how long?
    Are these IVs guaranteed to lighten skin tone?
    I have been told that the IVs are to be taken in combinaion with Vitamin C IV... is that true?

Cheerz

Treyce
    Meagan91 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Sep 1, 2009, 04:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    lmao... a diet composed of raw onions, garlic, and shallots..well said, I doubt much luck there. I seriously doubt the myth about good health and diet means less melanin, that is a gimmick line advertisers use. I believe a healthier diet can of course help aide you to overall health, but fairer skin? hmm...dark skin can also be healthy skin.
    I certainly wouldn't equate healthy diet with light skin. If someone was born dark skin and maintains the same complexion during his life then its all right.
    But a lot of us get darker as they grow older. Reasons for it mostly are both sun exposure and unhealthy life style. Not only in regards to diet, but also smoking, drinking and too little sleep (dark circles under your eyes).
    If you don't live healthy the toxins in your body accumulate giving your skin a darker complexion. But its is dull and more greyish, not the beautiful choclate color naturally dark-skinned people have.

Sep 1, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyce View Post
    I do read about creams and lotions with the substances you have mentioned as helpful but really dont know about the product efficacy....Can u recomend a particular product/brand I can order on the net that has proven its worth....I am looking for complexion as well as overall, full body lightening.... recommend.
    :confused:
    There are several (if not many) legitimate sellers for these products online. Due to advertising rules however, I'd recommend that you use a search engine first. If that fails, I'll be more than happy to send you a link for a supplier that I've used in the past.

These products (tyrosinase inhibitors) can be used pretty much anywhere melanin/melanocytes are present. They don't destroy or harm any cells either, and are therefore highly effective as both temporary and semi-permanent skin lighteners. (When used for lengthened periods.)

Sep 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgreg1 View Post
    There are several (if not many) legitimate sellers for these products online. Due to advertising rules however, I'd recommend that you use a search engine first. If that fails, I'll be more than happy to send you a link for a supplier that I've used in the past.

These products (tyrosinase inhibitors) can be used pretty much anywhere melanin/melanocytes are present. They don't destroy or harm any cells either, and are therefore highly effective as both temporary and semi-permanent skin lighteners. (When used for lengthened periods.)
    I have done a lot of research and spent loads of money... so kindly send me that link you have mentioned... if you have used and it works... its going to be worth it. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Treyce, please be careful with IVs or injections, you have to know how to properly perform it as well as sterilize all utensils. If not, it could be a fatal mistake. There are more natural brands with natural ingredients, the only one that worked for me was makari night crème, but it is costly as that wouldn't be my 1st option of choice. Somepeople also received good results from the Hydroquinone/Tretinoine regemin, but it's best to only do this no more than 4-6 months and switch to something else to avoid possible side effects. Or you can purchase and try mixing your own active ingredients in a ready-made crème at a proper dosage.

Sep 1, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Treyce, please be careful with IVs or injections, you have to know how to properly perform it as well as sterilize all utensils. If not, it could be a fatal mistake. There are more natural brands with natural ingredients, the only one that worked for me was makari night creme, but it is costly as that wouldnt be my 1st option of choice. Somepeople also received good results from the Hydroquinone/Tretinoine regemin, but it's best to only do this no more than 4-6 months and switch to something else to avoid possible side effects. Or you can purchase and try mixing your own active ingredients in a ready-made creme at a proper dosage.
    Thanks Golden_girl... I don't know about Makari but will check out the site and see if it can be ordered... I am looking for allover skin lightening... Do u think this will work for full body lightening? I am in the media spotlight all the time so it's a big deal that I feel confident and look presentable on screen.

I have various tones throughout my body and its quite embarrassing... Im dark in certain places and darker in others and ligther in certain areas and so I'm just so uneven in tone that I need a full body lightening formula that works well... I had all my hopes on L-Glutathione but its over 3 months with no restults.

Wat do you recommend please?
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Well, for full body lightening would be so expensive with makari. I had used it on just my arms, face, shoulders, ears, and hands and in a few months it had cost me hundreds of dollars, no where near completing the full body lightening. I heard that Sure White is a good body lightener, although I have never tried it. Personally I think you will get more success from mixing the lightening agents in a ready made crème or lotion. That way you will get more lightening an is more cost-effective, since you will be albe to purchase more of the actives and can adjust the dosage to where you feel comfortable and get proven results. Actives such as alpha-arbutin, mulberry root extract, bearberry leaf extract, licorice extract, kojic acid, even sepiwhite (an amino acid) is known to help lighten as well, to name a few. I have not tried formulating my own yet, as I haven't lightened the full body. I'm choosing to try this when it is cooler like during the fall/winter. So until then, trying to learn as much as I can now.

Also, a good lightening soap will help even out the skin and absorb lighteners. A lot of people have used Likas papaya soap, I have used the diana stalder papaya kojic soap and it worked well. I doubt these actually "lighten" the skin, but they help the skin to exfoliate, therefore removing deadskin and also the lightening ingredients will absorb more easily. Natural African black soap (which is actually brown an softer) will help even out the skin tone and fade spots and scars, but not lighten overall, and is very gentle compared to the papaya soap. Just be sure not to buy the fake black soap which uses black dye in it a it hard.

Many people also have had much success using Retin-A crème (aka tretinoine), which is the acid form of vitamin A. Very good for exfoliating, giving slightly lightened skin and help to even out the skin, and will help speed up results and get the full potential when using a good skin lightener. I will be using this in the fall/winter as well. Also, always a high spf sunblock, like spf 70 or 85.
    marigut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 08:09 PM

It is true glutathione pills don't get absorbed by the body. IV does get into the blood but not the cells which is where it needs to go.

Skin lightening does have side effects.
    dessaml Posts: 210, Reputation: 9

Oct 14, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyce View Post
    How much of the IVs will I need to take and for how long?
    Are these IVs guaranteed to lighten skin tone?
    I have been told that the IVs are to be taken in combinaion with Vitamin C IV...is that true?

cheerz

Treyce
    I have no idea, I think it is unethical to do that in the states unless you have autism, parkinsons disease or cancer. So I have no idea how much you would need to lighten... from what I hear high doses may lighten you up to 3 shades...

Oct 15, 2009, 12:31 AM

Anyone can help me improve my overall skin tone... Im medium dark and need to get lighter as I am a media person andin th e spotlight most of the time. I need to look presentalbe and have a healthy glowing complexion.
    Cheerz

Oct 15, 2009, 12:32 AM
    Does anyone know if
    Glutathione Pills work as a skin lightener if they are taken in larger doses?
    Cheerz
    Treyce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Skin lightening pills [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very uneven skin tone (by that I mean some parts are dark while others are light). I really want to lighten it up to an even tone, are skin lightening pills dangerous to use for this purpose? I'm a 20 year old black female. Are there any long term side effects?

Skin Lightening Pills That Really Work [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if there are any skin lightening pills that really work and were I could buy them :

Do Skin Lightening Pills actually work? [ 876 Answers ]

Huh? Anyone ever heard of real skin whitening pills that work. I mean am kind of new in the skin whitening issue though have been in it all, all the products u guyz were talking about seemed to me to take ages and the results seemed to be temporaliy ...

Skin lightening pills [ 3 Answers ]

Hello , My name is brown baby and this my first time attending this website I was actually trying to find skin lightening pills without a perscription and ran across you guys thanks for the helpful tips Because I just had baby and she has done number on my dark skin I'm look lighten up Even...

Skin Lightening Pills [ 1 Answers ]

Do the lightening pills work and are they safe? Do you have to keep up the process to maintain results?

View more questions Search