Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 04:38 PM
    What determines a good vocal coach?
    Hey guys, recently I have investing some time to look for a good vocal coach.

I have found a few but they have not returned my emails for the whole weekend.

Anyway I'm just wondering, what should I look for in a vocal coach. I want a coach that would get me somewhere and teaches good. I would rather find out first than waste some money and find out later.

Do I interview the vocal coach first? Ask them some questions? If so what kind of questions? If not what do I do to find a good vocal coach?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Hi, none12345!

First, are you looking for a vocal coach or teacher, please? Most frequently, a vocal coach is someone who helps the student with interpretation of the music. A teacher will teach the student how to produce the sounds the best that the student can. Of course, there is a lot more to either type of person. But, those are the differences in general. I realize that there will be people who'll interchange the terms.

Here are some things that you can ask a potential voice teacher or coach, though.

How long have you been teaching?

Did you have training from a college or university to teach what you do?

What sort of experience with you singing do you have?

Are their any specialties that you have? Like perhaps a specialization in a certain voice type, i.e. soprano, alto, tenor or bass? Perhaps specialties in teaching certain types of music?

Are lessons held in your home or in a studio someplace else?

How much do you charge for lessons? What manners of payment do you accept?

Do you use the piano or other kind of keyboard instrument when you teach?

What is your attendance policy, like for when a student misses a lesson or has to miss a lesson?

Do you have your students do warm-ups? If so, what kind are they and how long do they last during the lesson?

Do you teach throughout the Summer months?

Do you have your students give individual or recitals as a group?

Do you have any references that I can call?

If you would let me know more about what you're wanting to learn and the type of voice range that you have, I can help you even more.

If you have any further questions about this, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 07:01 PM

First, a good coach would most likely not answer you by email over a weekend, most will have office hours during the week.

Next you should be asking for an appointment to visit them and see what programs they offer.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 07:43 PM

Oh never mind clough, I'm looking for a vocal teacher but one that would work on things I would like to work on.

Thanks for the questions. I ll be sure to ask them.
    Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 07:53 PM

While you may find a coach that will do what you want, most will want you to do what you need ( in their opinion) not always the same thing

My ex wife is a coach, works with many people who do musicals and for those preparing to do auditions
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    while you may find a coach that will do what you want, most will want you to do what you need ( in thier opinion) not always the same thing

My ex wife is a coach, works with many people who do musicals and for those preparing to do auditions
    Doing what they want you to do will benefit your voice so in the end one can sing well with the songs they want to?
    Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 08:03 PM

Well all I really know is what I over hear from 10 years of marriage.

But tone and breathing seems to be a large part of it. I know it is often weeks before they get into any real songs
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
    Hi again, none12345!

What kind of singing is it that you want to do, please? Pop, rock, folk, jazz, classical, opera, stage, training on how to sing in a microphone properly, etc. All of those styles/ways of singing demand different types of technique to do them well. Oftentimes, the way to sing in one style that sounds the best for that style won't sound as good in one or more of the other styles.

If you would let me know the types of styles that you would like to sing, that will help in narrowing down as to where and how you might look for a teacher.

Also, many voice teachers do teach on Saturdays, especially if they might not be located at a school or college of some kind or even if they are at a school or college. Also, if they're popular and there is a demand for them, chances are, that they will teach on Saturdays.

Being a private music teacher of any kind is a business. If there's a demand and the teacher has time, chances are that they will teach on Saturdays. I don't like to teach on Saturdays, but if there's the demand, and since I don't have my family living with me anymore, I'll also teach on Saturdays.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, none12345!

What kind of singing is it that you want to do, please? Pop, rock, folk, jazz, classical, opera, stage, training on how to sing in a microphone properly, etc. All of those styles/ways of singing demand different types of technique to do them well. Oftentimes, the way to sing in one style that sounds the best for that style won't sound as good in one or more of the other styles.

If you would let me know the types of styles that you would like to sing, that will help in narrowing down as to where and how you might look for a teacher.

Also, many voice teachers do teach on Saturdays, especially if they might not be located at a school or college of some kind or even if they are at a school or college. Also, if they're popular and there is a demand for them, chances are, that they will teach on Saturdays.

Being a private music teacher of any kind is a business. If there's a demand and the teacher has time, chances are that they will teach on Saturdays. I don't like to teach on Saturdays, but if there's the demand, and since I don't have my family living with me anymore, I'll also teach on Saturdays.

Thanks!
    Hey there Clough. I would like to sing songs that are kind of rock to rockish kind but not on the heavier side. Something like Daughtry. Have you heard of them?
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Hi again, none12345!

No, I've not heard of Daughtry. But, I've looked them up and they do have some You Tube videos. I will listen to them when I'm on a faster computer. My main computer has a problem and I'm using a Windows '98 machine that's on a dial-up connection.

Since you're wanting to sing in a rock style, you'll need some help with breathing and also to develop your tone so that it's suited to a rock style. In general, "classical" type singing doesn't tend to lend itself very well to a rock type of sound. There's always exceptions, though... Also, you'll need to learn how to breath without making any sound as you sing into a microphone and how to use a microphone properly.

In a rock or pop style of singing, there are many traditional "rules" in singing, like for "classically" styled music, that can be broken when singing in those types of styles. That's perfectly okay. Those styles of music won't sound as good if someone sang them like opera songs. So, a traditional, classical style of voice teacher will probably not give you the more specific type of training that you need. I would check with music stores and rock bands to find a teacher. Probably not going to find the correct one if checking at a school, college or university other than it's possible that some institutions have show or jazz choirs where the members might also lead you in the right direction.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 06:06 PM

Hey, I have a question. I was wondering if a girl would be a good vocal coach for a guy? Since the range is different?

And I'm still looking for a good vocal coach with no luck. Any further advice?

I have tried contacting my school teachers all of their schedules are full and I asked for some recommendations but when I contacted them they don't seem like the right type. I live in kind of a small city right now so I can't really Google, now I don't know what to do.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 12:04 AM
    Hi again, none12345!

The best, private voice teacher that I ever had was a woman. So, if the teacher is a man or woman, if they're good, is irrelevant to me.

If you contact the leaders in church music around where you are, like the choir directors and organists, they also might be able to help you find a good teacher.

By the way, church music can involve many different styles of music, and the people that are leaders of music in churches will frequently have degrees in music and network with other music people in an area. This is especially true for people leading music in larger churches.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding a vocal coach in windsor ontario [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, as the title says I need help finding a vocal coach in windsor ontario. Someone with lots of experience, not that expensive and work on the music I want to. Anyone from windsor got a recommendation? If not, can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!

What determines interest rates [ 5 Answers ]

The determinants of interest rates

Who determines when your off probation? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister was told by a judge that if she paid off her fines that her probation would get dropped and her probation officer was going to release her but the supervisor wouldn't do it. I thought when a judge releases you that you get released?

What Determines a " bedroom' re: NEC ? [ 4 Answers ]

The garage I am converting into an apt.will have limited square footage. Basically there will be a bathroom and the other room will be the bedroom/ kitchenette/ sitting room/ grand ballroom, kind of flows together with no definite delineation. I have read the NEC lumps the kitchen/ dining room...

Who determines if something is official [ 4 Answers ]

I wasn't sure what subject to put this under so if this is the wrong place, my apologies. Anyway. I made a fan club for a favorite band of mine. Mine is the first one that was made for them. Well my site was noticed by the band and I got a few messages from them thanking me. Well boom other people...

View more questions Search