Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyp1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Locating main house water line
    I am trying to install a booster pump on my home plumbing but the main water line from the street goes into the slab and I lose it... I have had one call come out and mark the main from the street but they only come up into the property by 5 feet. I have exposed the sheetrock behind the hot water heater and the only outside spickot I can get to and no water lines run through the ceiling... any thoughts
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Aug 29, 2009, 11:49 AM

If you have a meter at the street there should be a shut off there. Just use that and if you can install a main shut off on the water line before it enters your house now would be a good time so that you don't have to use the stop and the meter next time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Where do you live? Hoe deep is your service? Are you in a freeze zone? Does the water service enter the slab under ground and not jump up for a hose bib? Let's have more details. What room's behind where the service enters? Would your attic be warm enough in the winter for the pump and overhead piping? Let me know, Tom
    PS. Hey Darrel! Long time no see. How ya been?

Aug 31, 2009, 05:46 AM
    I live in Arkansas and the main water line is between 12-24 inches deep... I have exposed one water bib and it is fed by the cold water line going to the hot water heater... there is no exposed copper in the attic and all the lines either come up from the slab and or after that runs through the studs.. I have another bib on the back of the house but the only way to expose that is to take the siding off the house... I was thinking metal detetctor and walk the line from the meter... any thoughts
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 06:13 AM

Why are you worrying about where your hose bibs are? Your main line should run in a pretty straight line from the meter to where it comes into your house, where the main shut off valve is. Where and why do you want to install a booster pump on a city water line? I would think you would install it after your main shut off valve. Otherwise it would have to be underground to protect from freezing.

Aug 31, 2009, 07:04 AM

Because the main water shut off is buried in the yard away from the meter and that can not be located either... I have 28-32 psi in the house which poses a lot of problems
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 10:18 AM

Check with city water dept. Most have location of water line to house on map

Chuck

Aug 31, 2009, 10:30 AM

City has no prints of house plumbing and definetely no prints of how main water goes into it. I tried that route about a month ago

Aug 31, 2009, 11:07 AM

You said you had one person come out but they only marked 5 ft into property. Who was that? Know any body with metal detector?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Dig a lateral trench across where you think the service enters the slab. Stretch a string from there to the meter and you'll have a pretty good idea of where the water service is. But you'll have bigger problems then simply traicing the water line. Where to put the booster puml and bladder tank where they won't freeze. You will also have to install a check valve on the water service to hold and maintain pressure. If the water enters your unit under a utility room you're going to be OK. Simply take up the slab and install the pump and tank in there. But what if it enters in the living room or a bed room? Then you only shot would be to jump the service up in the attic and install it there.
    In my estimation, this should be the water companys problem and not yours. They're paid to furnish water under normal pressure which falls between 45 and 60 PSI.
    They have failed to do this. Before I went through the expense and hassle of installing a booster pump I would, for sure, want to know just why I'm not getting what I pay for. Good luck and let me know the outcome. Tom

Aug 31, 2009, 01:19 PM

Yes I do know someone with a metal detector and they should be by this coming weekend with it... arkansas one call are the people who come out and mark the property but on the water they will only come so far into the property everything else electrical and cable is marked where it goes.. on the placement of the booster pump as long as I can locate the main line I will plumb it with the correct check valve,cut off valves and regulator. My biggest issue is finding the main line into the house.. I actually have a crawl space that runs the whole length of the front of the house and am hopeing the main crosses there somewhere. The sanitary drain comes across the crawl space so I am hoping the same for the main.

Aug 31, 2009, 02:22 PM

If you have a crawl space you should be able to see where the main comes either through the wall or up out of the ground. A straight line between there and the meter should tell you where the pipe is, especially if it is galvanized pipe.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Tony, Did you see this?
    In my estimation, this should be the water companys problem and not yours. They're paid to furnish water under normal pressure which falls between 45 and 60 PSI.
    They have failed to do this. Before I went through the expense and hassle of installing a booster pump I would, for sure, want to know just why I'm not getting what I pay for.
    Have you asked them why the low pressure? Every water company I've ever dealt with kicks the pressure up so high to reach outlaying areas that you have to choke it down with a PRV, (Pressure Reducing Valve) so it don't harm valves and fittings. What's wrong with your water company? Regards, Toim

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install clean out on main line 20' from house [ 3 Answers ]

Need to install a clean out on my main sewer line on an older house... the main runs under a patio so the closest I can get to the house is about 20' to 30'

Sewer P-trap for house main line [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a 40 year old single story home in San Diego and we love it, except we get a sewer smell periodically outside (depending on weather, I guess). The smell is really bad. Had a plumbing come out and unclog a clog, and he mentioned maybe putting a P-trap on the our main line between the house &...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search