Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosecommon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Buoy painting
    I am painting on a polyurethane boat buoy. What type of paint can I use. Is priming involved?
    pjd189 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 06:57 PM

Hey, Rose, you shouldn't have to prime UNLESS the buoy has a sealer (if it's real shiny). You can paint it with acrylics, then seal the entire buoy with a clear sealer. You can actually use a cheap clear spray paint (Wal-Mart brand about $1.00) to seal it. Put about 2-3 coats all over, waiting in between each coat for drying time. Good Luck!
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Nov 11, 2009, 01:06 PM

Hi,
    I asked a couple of boat owners about this. They said you cannot paint on a polyurethane buoy. They said the paint won't stick. If it is PVC, you can sand it to get "good tooth" for grip, then use a vinyl or enamel paint.
    pjd189 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 10:34 AM

I guess I should have asked if this buoy would be an 'ornamental' or if you planned to actually use it. I have used acrylics and sealers on polyurethane items many times(I am from a small fishing village in south Louisiana) BUT only on ornamental items not on ones that would be placed in the water or actually used on the boat. If it is ornamental, simply heat seal the acrylics after a good 48 hours dry time. Use a low powered heat gun.
    Hope this helps...
    Pjd189
    rosecommon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Thanks to everyone for their input on painting buoys. I first tried outdoor latex paint but because of the high pigmentation of the red color it has taken weeks to dry and is still tacky. I am now priming the others first, painting w/acrylic paint and will seal them. I will let you all know how that works. I'm not anticipating any problems. They are going to be used as decoration and not on boat or in water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

Tell me about this painting. [ 3 Answers ]

Has Blum signature on front. On canvas. Also the word Paix is on the front... have pics below! Thank you

Oil Painting by SR [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to find out who the person is who painted this oil painting. The only thing I have is the initials S R painted on the bottom right of the picture! Has anyone got any of the Artists pictures or knows who he or she is? Replies much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking for a certain painting [ 3 Answers ]

I do not know the artist or the name of the painting, but I can remember slightly what it looks like, it is of a skeleton with a crown on strapped into a chair with white flames burning him and there is another man in the background/off to the side that is looking at him, if anyone knows of this...

Painting Fun! [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a place where you can indulge your inner abstract expressionist: move your mouse to splatter virtual paint and click to change the color. To create a hard copy, right-click on the "canvas" and select Print. Painting Fun I am not printing mine out and showing it to anybody. Let's just...

View more questions Search