Ask
    hema11111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Is Computer software a fixed asset?
    Is Computer software a fixed asset?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 09:28 PM

Yes. Basically a fixed asset is an asset that is tangible and that you will use in your business for more than one year. It doesn't include stuff that was purchased to re-sell (inventory) nor things that you're using as an investment. There's some technicalities to it, but for the most part something tangible that you'll use for over a year (computer stuff, equipment, buildings, cars, etc) are fixed assets.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 11:07 PM

In my mind Computer Software is an
    Office Expense.
    Computer Software does not need to be Capitalized.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 12:22 AM

I only now realize I misread what it said. I expect I read that as "computer hardware" - doh!

Yes, software is expensed.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Sep 1, 2009, 04:35 AM

I have a different view than morgaine300 and rollcam. If the computer software meets the criteria of an intangible asset that it is an asset. According to IAS38 (Intangible Assets) and intangible asset is:
    * an identifiable
    * non monetary
    * asset
    * without physical existence

According to the Framework for the preparation and presentation of financial statements, an asset is:
    - a resource
    - controlled by an entity
    -as a result of past events; and
    - from which future economic benefits are expected to flow to the entity.

The last point about future economic benefits is important.

What would you do with a computer software which came along with the purchase of the computer?

What would you do with a computer software purchased as stand alone, say Oracle Financials?
    HBowen Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2009, 04:16 PM

It also depends on the cost. If it's just a Quickbooks Program then yes just an expense.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rehmanvohra View Post
    I have a different view than morgaine300 and rollcam. If the computer software meets the criteria of an intangible asset that it is an asset. According to IAS38 (Intangible Assets) and intangible asset is:
    * an identifiable
    * non monetary
    * asset
    * without physical existence

According to the Framework for the preparation and presentation of financial statements, an asset is:
    - a resource
    - controlled by an entity
    -as a result of past events; and
    - from which future economic benefits are expected to flow to the entity.

The last point about future economic benefits is important.

What would you do with a computer software which came along with the purchase of the computer?

What would you do with a computer software purchased as stand alone, say Oracle Financials?
    You sure do get complicated a lot.

Sep 2, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    You sure do get complicated a lot.

What is so complicated about it?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
    What is so complicated about it?
    The fact that an average person doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. Everyone isn't an accounting major and can't get that technical.

Sep 3, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    The fact that an average person doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. Everyone isn't an accounting major and can't get that technical.

When I answer to questions it is my intention that a proper education is provided. It is a two way street. I may not be as experienced as you but I believe in what I do for the benefit of the readers.

You may have read so many books on accounting and I am sure most if not all authors may have referred to the nature and content of computer software.

If your contention is accepted about not getting too much technical, then an entity that purchases oracle financials software spending a great deal of money would just expense it? Do you think the auditors will accept this? Do you think that IRS will accept this?

I have a feeling that you d o not like to be criticised. This is not the first time. Why can you not accept constructive criticism?
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 11:57 PM
    I did not take it as any kind of criticism. You have decided to assume that. I said "You sure do get complicated." Then I said "not everyone is an accounting major..." so you think I was talking about me and Rolcam when I said that? I was thinking about the OP, not me.

I was referring to your quoting of technical statements that your average person is never going to understand. (Didn't I already say that?) If your intent is to educate, then talk plain English. You talk technical mumbo-jumbo, even to first-year students, who don't understand, and quite frankly, probably don't care. It's like a lawyer talking legalese to your average joe.

For your information, I happen to agree with you. For something expensive, yes it would be an asset and not expensed. Someone else did say it would depend on the cost. Since I've mostly worked for little tiny companies that buy cheapo software that would be expensed, no, it didn't happen to occur to me until you brought it up. But why not say it in plain English? That's what I'm talking about.

Just as a note... nothing in anything you quoted would tell someone that the cost of the software might have anything to do with it.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 04:01 PM

Actually, if we want to complicate this further, what about software that is just licensed to a company and is renewable on an annual basis?
    Cheryl Mckenzie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 09:10 AM

Do I capitalize the purchase of an upgrade to an existing computer software
    JamesJacob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 09:51 AM
    When I answer to questions it is my intention that a proper education is provided. It is a two way street. I may not be as experienced as you but I believe in what I do for the benefit of the readers.

You may have read so many books on accounting and I am sure most if not all authors may have referred to the nature and content of computer software.

If your contention is accepted about not getting too much technical, then an entity that purchases oracle financials software spending a great deal of money would just expense it? Do you think the auditors will accept this? Do you think that IRS will accept this?

I have a feeling that you d o not like to be criticised. This is not the first time. Why can you not accept constructive criticism?

I do agree with your explanations. It makes sense.
    umickismith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 12:02 PM
    Computer software is a technology-based intangible asset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

JE for fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

Our company purchased piece of equip for $24,000.00. We put $5000.00 down and received rebate of $4000.00 so loan amt is for $15000.00. How do I record the fixed asset? Thank you.

Fixed Asset [ 1 Answers ]

How do you record in the current year a fixed asset figure not posted in the previous year?

Fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

How do I categorize and enter into the checkbook?

Is software a fixed asset [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I have a promotional products company and I use graphics software for the business. Is software like this a fixed asset or an inventory (non-sale) item? Thank you

View more questions Search