Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaliAce7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Ceiling fan pull chain switch with 6 wires
    Our ceiling fan switch clicks but the fan does not go on. When I opened the housing, I saw that there was 6 wires, 2 of which were white. One of the white wire was not connected, it could have caused the fan to stop working (?). I do not know where this white wire should be connected to as all the other wires are connected. Please help! Thanks. I do not know the model of the fan, only that it is about 20 years old.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:58 PM

Does the fan have a light? If not, it is normal that there will be a disconnected white wire.

Don't touch anything yet :)

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    PaliAce7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 07:06 PM

We got a new fan as the old one was over 20 years old. Thaks for your reply.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 08:32 PM

Do you still have the old fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

How do I reconnect the pull chain in my ceiling fan switch? [ 1 Answers ]

My ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. It's a Well Tec switch, model e116997. I have my fan motor housing open and I have identified the Well Tec switch... but I can't figure out how to get the remaining brass balls (I think there are 2-3) out, and get the remaining pull chain...

My ceiling fan pull chain switch for the light [ 1 Answers ]

My chain broke off in the switch, it has an L 1 2 3 on the switch with 3 wires, #1 is a blue wire, #2 is a black wire and #3 is a red wire. I don't know what the numbers mean, unless it's a 3-way switch for 3-way bulbs, I don't care about the 3-way stuff, I just want off & on. Our local Wal Mart...

Pull chain switch on ceiling fan w/light [ 1 Answers ]

At one time a manufacturer made a helper lever to turn on a light on this kind of light but cannot seem to find it. It fitted right on the switch with an extension so it could be pulled on and would retract into the swith with out hanging up. Anyone lknow of this ltype of helper?

Installing a pull chain switch on a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced the broken pull chain switch on a ceiling fan. There were two black wires coming from above the light socket. Either way I attached them to the two black wires coming from the pull switch worked. Does it matter which goes to which if they work either way?

View more questions Search