Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Green card for parents if the child is an American citizen
    My husband and I have been here for two years under J1, respectively J2 visas. Our visas will expire next year. While here, our son was born, so he is an American citizen.
    Is there any possibility that we can stay here legally under a different visa (or applying for green card), after J1 and J2 expire, based on the reason that our son is an American citizen?
    mpolo Posts: 117, Reputation: -3

Aug 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
    Sorry but (NO) get an immigration Attorney asap before your visa expire, otherwise you will have to go to your country to apply for it.

it sucks!!!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 10:33 AM

No... your US citizen child can apply immigrant visa for parents when he/she reaches 21 years old, plus he/she must meet other requirements.

You can either maintain non-immigrant visa or return to your home country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian citizen with Us green card [ 7 Answers ]

I have my US Green Card which stipulates I must live in the Us. Recently I had to move back to Canada due to family emergency. Issue: I recently crossed the border ( not showing my green card) and I got questioned. Eventually I told them I have a green card, they made me show it, they...

Us green card- canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I have my US Green Card which stipulates I must live in the Us. Recently I had to move back to Canada due to family emergency. (so I'm living in canada temporarily) Issue: I recently crossed the border ( not showing my green card) from canada going into the US and I got questioned....

How do you see if someone had a legal green card before they married a us citizen? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister (who is now deceased) married someone from Colombia in 1993. He paid her $2500.00 to marry him so he could get his green card. How do you find out if he actually had a valid green card before marriage or if he got it after the marriage?

5 years to get a Green Card for a Ukrain Citizen? [ 1 Answers ]

We have filed and interviewed now for 5 years, they said in June it was coming our green card for my wife from Ukraine, we are still waiting.. . What is the hold up?

View more questions Search