Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelleMoore Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Child rights as well as parental rights
    I know this is asked over and over again but I'm still confused. I have an almost 11 year old who wants nothing to do with her father. He has not been very faithful to her in the past 10 years. 6 years ago her fathers girlfriend abused her by hitting her and unfortunately the state of NJ did not see that as child abuse. He stood by his girlfriends side and basically called my daughter a liar. Since then things have not been the same. She despises her father and tells me she does not want to see him or talk to him again. He upsets her and never calls her back when she calls him. She said the other night that she wishes she didn't have a father like him and she wants my boyfriend to adopt her. Beings my child feels this way, is there a way I can get him to waive his rights? Will a judge hear my daughters side of the story? I need help! Everytime he plans something with my daughter (when it's conveient for him) he always comes up with excuses the day after they are supposed to do something. He never calls or shows up but will text me or leave me a message the day after saying something came up. He does not have time for her and my daughter is getting tired of waiting around. SOmeone please help me! :confused:
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Your daughter will not have a lot of say in her future, but with a Guardian Ad Litem (child's attorney) she will get to tell her own wishes, although the court may not ever listen to them.

A boyfriend may not adopt a child. If he were your husband, it would be a different situation.

Is your ex current on child support?
    How does he feel about giving up his rights?

Aug 27, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Your daughter will not have alot of say in her future, but with a Guardian Ad Litem (child's attorney) she will get to tell her own wishes, although the court may not ever listen to them.

A boyfriend may not adopt a child. If he were your husband, it would be a different situation.

Is your ex current on child support?
    How does he feel about giving up his rights?
    No he is not current on child support. He is behind. I haven't talked to him about giving up his rights. Every time I call or my daughter calls he does not pick up the phone. He never calls either of us back. It can take him a good week to call back or he don't call at all.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 12:11 PM

Are his visitations court ordered or are they out of the kindness of your heart?

You can apply for a modification to the visitation schedule citing exactly what you described here... cancellations, avoidance, etc. Courts are not fond of parents jerking their kids around like that.

Like Justie said... your boyfriend cannot adopt. Any chance there is a wedding in your future?

Aug 28, 2009, 05:18 AM

He does have court ordered visitation and he does not abide by the court order at all in the past 6 years. He has a family of his own right now and just pushes my daughter aside. His first born to say the least. I will call the courts to see what they say. Thank you for your advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2009, 06:17 AM

I'm not sure what confuses you. The response to this issue have been very clear. You cannot terminate his rights involuntarily unless he can be proven to be a danger to the child and that seems hardly the case. You can have him relinquish his rights if you HUSBAND (not boyfriend) agrees to adopt. Don't see how that can be made clearer.

If your daughter wants nothing to do with him you can't force her to. If he goes court to enforce his visitation, a presentation of his history is likely to have the courts say if she doesn't want to see him she doesn't have to.

And that appears to be what you really want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Rights and Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

My ex hasn't made any attempt to show me that he cares about our 2 month old daughter and now he said that he would sign over his rights. I just turned in the child support order so should I tell the courts that I don't want child support now if I don't want him in her life and he doesn't want to...

Parental rights and child support [ 5 Answers ]

A friend of mine has two children whom he never sees and he pays child suport, more than half his check goes to child support in fact. He wants to sign his rights over, but he is unaware if Iowa is a state where they relinquish child support as well as parental rights. He has no phone number to get...

Parental Rights & Child Support in MN & PA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to all I gave up my parental rights back in 1999 to my ex-wife during our divorce and have maintain paying child support. In the last five years I have been trying to get joint custody but with no luck, so my question is can I go back to the court and let them know I would like to stop...

Child support and parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently responsible for paying child support for my daughter, which is actually putting me in the hole every month, for only seeing her two or four hours a month. In Florida, can you give up your parental rights and child support? How long would it be until you could see your child?...

Child custody and parental rights. [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to file for divorce and custody of my nine year old son. The father of my son has not been in his life for over 4 years. I am not wanting to get child support if I don't have to however I am wanting him to give up his paternal rights to him. He is nothing but an alcoholic and my son...

View more questions Search