Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 25, 2006, 07:46 PM
    Question about these air admitance vents.
    Hello:

As some may know I have been working on a gradual project over the last few weeks of upgrading my DWV system. The only thing I replaced last week was the main stack under the toilet to the sewer line. And it is vented using the original iron vent pipe through the wall.

Anyway, I have a lot of older lines that were here when I bought the place that were already PVC, (must have been upgraded only a few years ago)

Anyway, none of which was vented.

Anyway, now that I finally replaced that stack with all those various holes rusted out in it, Im noticing that my drain system seem to behave slightly different.

Nothing bad is happening, in fact, Im really just posting this question in the event I ever decide to sell, I don't want any plumbing issues coming up in an inspection.

I have read here that each fixture needs to be vented. I don't really want to rip the house apart to run vent stacks up in walls, plus I don't really care for getting in my roof, it's a very steep pitch over two stories where the vent stack pokes out and Im not going up there.

Also, I have S traps under my kitchen and bathroom sinks. (the plumbing runs to the floor, not the wall) and, I could run a vent stack behind the bathroom wall without a lot of fuss, but my kitchen sink is right in front of a big window and I don't see any feasible way to get a stack up that wall, unless you just run it right up the wall where you can see it in the window. That would be awfully tacky

I was wondering how well these AAV vents hold up, and are they legal for use in Pulaski Virginia? I keep thinking that they will stink up the house, but I really don't know.

How do they work? Can I stick one on each of my unvented fixtures are pass a home inspection? Or am I going to have to do this the hard way.

Like I said, Im not having a problem, everything is draining fine, nothing stinks, nothing is bubbling or gurgling, I just tend to be a perfectionist and if my name is to be attached to this job I want it done right.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 08:13 PM
    "The Virginia Statewide Plumbing Code is a state regulation promulgated by the Virginia Board of Housing and Community Development, a Governor-appointed board, for the purpose of establishing minimum regulations to govern the construction and maintenance of buildings and structures.

The provisions of the USBC are based on nationally recognized model building and fire codes published by the International Code Council, Inc.. The model codes are made part of the USBC through a regulatory process known as incorporation by reference. The USBC also contains administrative provisions governing the use of the model codes and establishing requirements for the enforcement of the code by the local building departments and other code enforcement agencies.

This set incorporates the 2003 International Plumbing Code, along with the complete updated State of Virginia Amendment Set."

Sounds like wet venting is allowed in your neck of the woods.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 25, 2006, 08:40 PM
    But do the work well compared to old fashioned venting.

In other words, if this was your house, what would you do?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcocke
    But do the work well compared to old fashioned venting.
    They work just fine, it's a mechanical device, so it will eventually wear out, but I've never had any problems using them.

In other words, if this was your house, what would you do?
    Well, there's the rub.

In my house, which is governed by a completely different set of plumbing codes than yours, they would be perfectly acceptable for use.

I can't really say what would be acceptable in your jurisdiction.

However, if it is feasible to run a drain line up to your kitchen, I would definitely lose the s-trap and put in an air admittance valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Force Retirement question [ 4 Answers ]

Is there an addendum for a spouse drawing retirement after a divorce? After re-marriage? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, keenu

Question on my central air [ 5 Answers ]

OK I had my AC running over night. I woke up and found that the evaporator was ice, but the blower was still working. I shut off the AC cleaned the filter screens thinking that was making it freeze. Turned the unit back on, now I can hear the freon gas running into the evaporator however the blower...

Vents at ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Ok don't want to sound stupid here but we have cold air returns at the bottom of the walls and vents at the top that you can open or close, when should you have these open or closed?

View more questions Search