Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1099669 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Aug 27, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Political Correctness
    People, before us, have made greater sacrifices and done greater things then ALL of us today. ALL OF US. The lives of those people, you can't tell these stories any more in the schools today. It's not politically correct, to tell the stories of their lives.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 27, 2009, 08:37 AM

Explain... give examples. Just curious who your speaking of?

Aug 27, 2009, 08:41 AM

The Creator
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1099669 View Post
    The Creator
    My mom and dad?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 09:32 AM

Because not everyone believes in a creator at public schools. They have private schools for that.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 27, 2009, 09:33 AM

God, whomever that might be for people. I understand that, but do you have others?

Aug 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Because not everyone believes in a creator at public schools. They have private schools for that.
    Why should someone who believes in a Creator be ousted from public schools?

Aug 27, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    God, whomever that might be for people. I understand that, but do you have others?
    My beliefs on religion is simple. The earth is a creation, and in order for there to be a creation there must be a Creator. Morality for me does not come from a Bible; it comes from the nature of the being I am Created. After all, HE Created us just as we are long before the Bible was created
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 27, 2009, 09:54 AM

How about George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the other Founding Fathers.

When I was a kid, we spoke about the Founders with reverence and respect.

These days we can't talk about them without bringing up the fact that they owned slaves or were in some other way flawed, and therefore less deserving of respect.

Does that serve as an appropriate example?

Why has it become necessary for us in this PC world to cut down these great men, and by extension the basic principals and concepts that they imbued into our nation's genesis?

Elliot
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Right, and not everyone believes in evolution, either.

Some schools are now considering to teach "Intelligent design" to explain all the things that science cannot and likely never will.

Aug 27, 2009, 09:59 AM
    They stood in a circle about the ox and took up the scattering of barley; among them powerful Agamemnon spoke in prayer: "Zeus, exalted and mightiest, sky dwelling in the dark mist: let not the sun go down and disappear into darkness until I have hurled headlong the castle of Priam blazing, and lit the castle gates with the flames destruction; not till I have broken at the chest the tunic of Hektor torn with the bronze blade, and let many companions about him go down headlong into the dust, teeth gripping the ground soil." The Iliad HOMER
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 10:11 AM

ET you will never hear me cut them down. They get the utmost respect. Regardless of the mistakes they made.

When did someone get kicked out of a public school for just believing something?

I went through 9 years of Catholic school. 4 of those years I was an Alter boy. I'll take Science.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 11:10 AM

Hello 10;

I've heard you about your religion, but you live in a nation of LAWS. You DO believe in the law, don't you? If not, this should be moved to religious discussions. It has NOTHING to do with current events.

excon
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Aug 27, 2009, 02:17 PM

Political correctness is a muzzle to silence criticism.

It is presently being used in a similar way to the idea of "thought police".

If you doubt that statement, think about those news stories about people who have lost their jobs because they said something that was not PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Political Correctness [ 3 Answers ]

I think it is unfortunate that excessive political correctness is killing comedy and satire. Free speech is in the constitution, yet you can't make jokes that have even the slightest chance of offending some group somewhere. I think that people need to lighten up and not be offended so easily....

What are your thoughts on political correctness? [ 32 Answers ]

Charlton Heston passed away this week, I found this speech that he gave to a Harvard graduating class a few years ago. His thoughts are pungent, do you agree with him? By: Charlton Heston Article Font Size The following is a speech NRA President Charlton Heston gave to the Harvard Law...

Political correctness. [ 39 Answers ]

Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad. Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search