Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiesto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Combustion?
    Hi!

I just made an experiment today. We had some liquids (Acid, bases, alcohols) and some solids (metals, salts) and we had to mix them, in order to find some gas-forming reactions. After finding them, we had the write the balanced equations and analyze the reaction.

We could also burn the solids (or the liquids) with a bunsen burner.

I decided to burn ammonia (NH3), Potassium Chlorate (KClO3) and sucrose (C12H22O11). My big question is : Is oxygen a reactant in the reaction, or only a product? Because, if it is, then is it possible to have the same element on both sides of a chemical equation?

Example (not balanced but you get the idea):

KClO3(solid) + O2 (gas) = O2 (gas) + KCl (solid)?
    or
    KClO3 (solid) + heat = O2 (gas) + KCl (solid)?

Same thing for sucrose and NH3.

Thank you!
    BAMAstudent Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2009, 01:21 PM

If you are burning anything then oxygen is a reactant in the equation.

Hope this helped!! Roll Tide!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 03:24 PM
    1. If you have oxygen on both sides of an equation, you can cancel them out. For example, if you have 3 moles of oxygen on the left but only 2 on the right, that is equivalent to having only one mole on the left and none on the right.

2. KClO3 is an oxidizer. O2 is an oxidizer. KClO3 won't normally react with O2 (It is possible to form perchlorate, KClO4, but it takes a very strong oxidizer and oxygen isn't strong enough).

This is a simple decomposition reaction.

You can assume this as an intermediate in order to figure out what happens when sucrose burns in KClO3. If you don't have enough KClO3 around, but there is air, then you'll have the decomposition of KClO3 and the reaction with oxygen.

BAMAstudent is NOT correct that oxygen is always a reactant in burning. You can burn in a vacuum if you supply an oxidizer (like potassium chlorate, for example). Explosives provide their own (usually solid, occasionally liquid) oxidizers. They burn and they do not rely on air. Similarly, you can burn hydrocarbons and other materials in chlorine (and other halogens) to form chlorinated hydrocarbons. This is commonly done on an industrial scale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Makeup Combustion Air for furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have just finished my basement and my furnace is now in a room about 20 x 20. I had installed double doors (solid not vented) to enter the room which is also being used for storage. My question is do I need to add some kind of makeup air for combustion by installing a grill in the wall? ...

Need to replace combustion air blower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Comfort Air furnace. The "Fasco" combustion air blower is making a noise when starting up and running. I want to replace the whole unit. Does anyone know of a reputable online dealer to buy it from?

Combustion Air Blower makes noise. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 4 and 1/2 year old ComfortMaker furnace. The combustion air blower started making a rumbling noise while starting and stopping and continues to vibrate while running. I had a heating & cooling service look at it. $65 just to show up. Without taking anything apart he said...

View more questions Search