Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyavash Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Windows message
    I am getting "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation" message and the screen stays black, although my product key number is valid! It was fine before now. How do I get the number to validate?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 10:27 AM
    You'll have to call Microsoft by phone for them to help you activate Windows.
    What happened prior to this message? Were you installing updates or getting something from the MS site?

Aug 26, 2009, 10:32 AM
    I did install some updates.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 03:29 AM
    What software are you recommending?

Aug 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Error - Windows xp product key cannot be validated
    I have tried your suggestions to restore my computer to before I started receiving the message that my copy of Windows did not pass validation. I also am waiting for Kaleemyousaf's email about installing some kind of software that will correct this problem.
    I have found no way to contact Microsoft or Dell regarding this problem without paying a steep fee for any help... which I do not feel I should have to pay since my copy of Windows XP IS valid! CAN ANYONE HELP ME?? :confused:
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 12:18 PM

First, you don't need to post another thread, just reply in the pre-existing thread.
    (Merge?)

Second, I wouldn't recommend downloading anything from an unreputable source, meaning from kaleemyousaf's email.

What type of computer are you on? Have you ever had to input a verification code before?

Aug 29, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Thanks. I have a two-year old Dell that came preloaded with Windows XP. I have never had to reenter the code before!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 07:07 PM

Are you using the recovery software that came with the computer?
    If so, there should not be issue but if you are installing a version of windows that did not come with the PC, this is where this question would be asked

Check with all the info that you got with the computer if it is still around on how to do a recovery back to factory reinstall

Aug 29, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the info. I will get everything out tomorrow and see what I can find. I do not remember seeing any recovery software, but will see if I can find it. I'll get back to you with what I find. Thanks, again.
    jimrockford Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2009, 08:19 PM

Try the procedures listed at this page:

Windows Genuine Advantage does not validate a copy of Windows XP

Aug 29, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Well, I thought this was going to work. I ran the diagnostics and everything checked out fine. No error messages. When I put in the code number, it tells me it cannot be validated!! I took the number off the side of my computer, and it is the same one that worked for two years. Any other suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 09:35 PM

You said you've tried to contact Microsoft and dell, and they charged you. How exactly did you try to contact them?

Aug 29, 2009, 09:55 PM

Did the validation site give you a reason the code could not be validated? Was it a valid code? If so, was it already in use?

Microsoft offers free email support for Windows Genuine Advantage. Have you tried submitting a support request?

Here's the site: WGA Help and Support
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Just to be certain:
    - are you getting that message while using the Windows key that's on the sticker on the side of your Dell?
    - have you made any major hardware changes to that computer?

Aug 30, 2009, 12:23 PM

Yes, I am using the key from the side of the computer. I have not made any hardware changes.

Aug 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    You said you've tried to contact microsoft and dell, and they charged you. How exactly did you try to contact them?
    I have called all the numbers available on their websites (which are not very many), and have run into "support" charges on all. Dell wants a repair ticket number, which I do not have and cannot supply.

Aug 30, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrockford View Post
    Did the validation site give you a reason the code could not be validated? Was it a valid code? If so, was it already in use?

Microsoft offers free email support for Windows Genuine Advantage. Have you tried submitting a support request?

Here's the site: WGA Help and Support
    The code should be valid as it is the one that came loaded on my computer. I will contact the site above. The only reason I got for the number not being validated is that I may be a victim of software counterfeiting.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kyavash View Post
    I have called all the numbers available on their websites (which are not very many), and have run into "support" charges on all. Dell wants a repair ticket number, which I do not have and cannot supply.
    I'm not sure with Dell, but if you don't have a repair ticket number with compaq, they give you one. It's basically a reference number so you don't have to give all your information again, like a customer number.

I know Microsoft has some toll-free lines where you can actually get to talk to real people... not sure which ones though. Have you tried 1-866-242-4609? (Just found that one online, will try to find more soon)

Aug 30, 2009, 12:50 PM

It sounds like someone has used your serial number to activate Windows on another computer or computers. If you can prove that you are the rightful owner, Microsoft may issue you a new key. Try calling the Windows Product Activation number at 1-888-571-2048 and see if they can help you.

Sep 2, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kyavash View Post
    The code should be valid as it is the one that came loaded on my computer. I will contact the site above. The only reason I got for the number not being validated is that I may be a victim of software counterfeiting.
    Jim, thank you so much for telling me about the WGA email help. I emailed them and they sent me excellent instructions as to how to fix the problem. I followed their instructions, and the "this copy of Windows cannot be validated" message is gone! Everything is working great.

Thank so much, again... :D :D :D

Kay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RVHost.exe error message windows xp [ 7 Answers ]

I'm getting the following error message: Windows cannot find RVHost.exe,make sure you typed the name correctly... Most likely it is a virus! Could you please advise on how to remove it? Thanks.

Windows error message [ 5 Answers ]

I have a DELL Dimension 9100 running WinXP Pro. The computer has a RAID hard drive configuration. Recently the hard drives were changed by a DELL rep. Now, when booting up I receive the following error message: "Windows - No Disk. There is no disk in drive. Please insert a disk into...

Windows XP message at shutdown [ 2 Answers ]

When I shut down my windows XP-home, it displays a message very shortly (for about 1/3 second) and then shuts down. The display is just too short for me to see, so I do not know what it is about. I have checked the values in the register regarding wait for hung applications etc, but they...

Error message windows xp professional [ 8 Answers ]

I had a computer that had windows xp professional on it and not that it has been unplugged I get an error message when I turn it on it says insert system disk and press enter I don't have the cd or a boot disk could I use windows 98 boot disk to start the computer so I don't get the error message...

Error message windows registry checker [ 6 Answers ]

Each time I switch the computer on I get a message: windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you When I click on OK the system reboots and the same message comes up. I have done a full scan disk and everything there is OK,...

View more questions Search