Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sylviafrison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Massachusetts adoption
    My son was born in mqassachusets, and I just married in Texas. My husband wants to adopt my son, my son's father is not on his birth cirtificate, so how so how do I go about this?
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Dec 23, 2010, 05:04 AM

If you currently live in Texas, then Texas law should control. If there is no father listed on the birth certificate, then it rests with you to name the presumed biological father. What I mean by that is in an adoption proceeding they notify the biological father/father of record (from BC) so he can advocate for his parental rights. If the father can not be notified or is not notified then the judge will (after publication in the newspaper) likely terminate his rights. Then the new husband is free to adopt.

That being said, I caution you against willfuly failing to identify the true father (I am not saying you would, just warning) it could have significant legal implications in the future and would be perjury.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adthern View Post
    If you currently live in Texas, then Texas law should control. If there is no father listed on the birth certificate, then it rests with you to name the presumed biological father. What I mean by that is in an adoption proceeding they notify the biological father/father of record (from BC) so he can advocate for his parental rights. If the father can not be notified or is not notified then the judge will (after publication in the newspaper) likely terminate his rights. Then the new husband is free to adopt.

That being said, I caution you against willfuly failing to identify the true father (I am not saying you would, just warning) it could have significant legal implications in the future and would be perjury.
    This thread is from 2006. The poster has not returned since then. Please try to pay more attention to the dates.

Dec 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    This thread is from 2006. The poster has not returned since then. Please try to pay more attention to the dates.
    I saw that, but I had seen similar questions and thought it might be nice to have an answer in the database for people who might have similar questions. Is that against the rules/poor etiquette here? IF so, My apologies.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2010, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adthern View Post
    I saw that, but I had seen similar questions and thought it might be nice to have an answer in the database for people who might have similar questions. Is that against the rules/poor etiquette here? IF so, My appologies.
    You can't give "similar" answers when this question is state-specific. Massachusetts and Texas do not have the same laws as other states.

It's not recommended to "revive" old threads because it brings it to the top of the forum.

Dec 26, 2010, 03:26 AM

I will try and avoid it in the future, however, the filling out of birth certificates is, I believe, the same (mother's primary responsibility in all jurisdictions in the U.S.). I did make it clear that that jurisdiction was to be taken into consideration.

But thanks for the heads up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and assets in Massachusetts [ 5 Answers ]

I know someone in Massachusetts who will be filing for divorce at any time. I wish to give this person a gift of some stock, but I want it to be solely their possession come the divorce. If I give them a stock certificate in their name only, could it be divided up with the rest of the assets come...

Taxes for J1 visa holders in Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hi, This is my 2nd year doing research like a postdoc from chile in Massachusetts. For my maintenance I do receive fellowship payments from an international foundation. Last year I paid both federal and state taxes but now I've heard that j1 visa holders don't need to pay taxes for the first 2...

Anyone in Chelsea, Massachusetts willing to do some research? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I've been seeking information on my great grandfather, who was married April 26, 1870 in Palermo, Maine, but was rumored to have been a native of Chelsea, Massachusetts. In the town where I live, the town office kept information in the town records on marriages such as who the parents of...

Child Support Modification/Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

I am going back for an increase in child support (Massachuetts). My ex is remarried for the third time and has shared physical custody of his two older daughters from his first marriage, age 18 and 16; neither parent pays support. 1) How much of his wife's income can be considered for my daughters...

View more questions Search