Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmyt62 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Corn on the cob
    Can I freeze corn on the cob? If I vacumn seal it? Or is there a way so I don't have to cut it off the cob? Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Hi, jimmyt62!

Yes, you can freeze them. I just did so a couple of weeks ago. I put the cobs in freezer bags then into the freezer.

It is possible, that there will be someone much more knowledgeable about the process who'll come along to address your question. I hope that there will be!

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 01:42 PM

I freeze corn on the cob with no problem at all. Prior to owning a vacuum sealer I just plopped them in a large baggie after washing with filtered water.

Now that I own a vacuum sealer I've sealed the corn on the cob successfully to ward off any freezer burn. When I cook the corn I now use a steamer and the corn comes out much tastier than when cooked in a big pot of boiling water.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 26, 2009, 01:45 PM

If it's uncooked then you don't have to freeze it unless you're planning on keeping it around for awhile.
    jimmyt62 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2009, 01:58 PM

I want to freeze it for winter. Do I have to cook or blach it first?
    messiable Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Aug 26, 2009, 02:06 PM

You can buy corn on the cob in frozen forms from the supermarket.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt62 View Post
    I want to freeze it for winter. Do I have to cook or blach it first?
    No need to blanch, unless you want, corn really can be eaten raw, so it really never needs to be cooked much.

It's would be like freezing any fresh vegetable, just make sure it is fresh and clean (very important):D
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 04:39 PM

Just be sure to take off all the husks first! Also, I found that if I break the cob in half it makes it a bit easier to vacuum seal.

No precooking is necessary. Just treat the corn like any other frozen veggie.

If you do decide to take off the cob, the corn will take up less room when frozen. Somehow it doesn't taste the same though off the cob.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 04:53 PM
    We blanch ours first. We have a garden every year, so our freezer is full of fresh vegetables. The corn is easy to put up.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 05:40 AM

I'm so glad it's SOOOO easy!!

The ONLY way I cook corn on the cob anymore is in the microwave... 3 minutes per cob... tiny bit of water... cover allowing for small vent... DELICIOUS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allergic to corn [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm allergic to corn flower. It means that I'm allergic to corn starch also? Who's allergic to an ingredient is allergic to the relative starches? ( potatoes- potato starch) thank you very much

Corn Salad [ 1 Answers ]

Any receipes for a corn salad. Had it and can't find it. I know it has corn, red and green peppers, etc and I think miracle whip and it was chilled. Don't know the measurement quantities

Corn gulten [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a feed meal that sells corn gluten.I live 50 miles from Paducah,KY on the Tennessee border.I want to buy corn gluten for a herbicide.Most feed mills sell it,but it is in pellet form.I need it in meal form.What I am asking is there a place within 50 miles of my home where I can buy...

Carmel Corn [ 11 Answers ]

Anyone know how to make carmel popcorn? Do I use microwave or regular popcorn. Buttered or plain. How do you make the carmel? Thanks for any help.

Pop corn [ 3 Answers ]

Pop corn.. good or bad for weight loss? How do you calculate the calories for pop corn?

View more questions Search