Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2009, 03:43 AM
    Uneven wood joint cut
    I finally removed a rotten piece of trim wood. I had a hard time because of a metal
    Drip cap extended partial over the trim board. I used a reciprocal saw. It made
    An uneven cut, for the piece that was left on the house. I liked to even it off in
    Some way.
    Possibly by sanding, maybe wood dough to fill in the gap, or do they make a piece of filling material that goes between two joint pieces of wood to hide the gap.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 07:00 AM

Center cut mark on rafter tail using a tri square. Cut along mark with recipical saw using a 6'' blade at a very flat angle.

Back cut replacement piece at about 5 degrees.

This will give u tight fit and rafter end will keep joint even after nailing. Use ring shank nails the keep from pulling out.

Good luck

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 07:18 AM

Remake your cut.

Find a short piece of board with a straight end.
    Lift the drip cap. Bend it up and out of the way. You can bend it back later.
    Tack you short board to the fascia, pushing it up against the drip cap.

Cut the bottom half of the fascia .Put your saw blade up against the end of the short board as a guide. Hold at the angle shown, cutting the bottom edge first, then rotate the tip of the blade into the wood.
    After cutting the bottom half turn the saw over, put the blade in the saw kerf and cut upward. Use only the end, (about 1 1/2") of the blade, and using the end of the short board as a guide.

P.S. Practice making some cuts with you reciprocating saw. You will be surprised how fast your cuts will improve. This is not really a difficult cut, so practice, practice.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removal of wood adhesive from wood subfloor [ 4 Answers ]

How do you remove wood adhesie from a subfloor? I want to install strand bamboo in a master bath. My contracter put 1/4 inch plywood over it but it crunches when you walk on it. Im afraid he tried to provide a smooth surface but didn't get rid of the initial problem-the ADHESIVE. I don't want a...

Can a joint tenant on a mortgage allow a man to live with other joint tenants? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and husband have a joint tenancy mortgage/deed with my exhusband. My daughter has made $76,000 worth of mortgage payments while living in the home with her husband and child. Recently she became ill and unemployed. The house was on the market for many months with no offers, and the...

Co-Owner in Default of Joint Loan Joint Tennants [ 5 Answers ]

I own a house with my ex boyfriend. He left the relationship, the house (left on his own accord), moved away to another state and stopped paying anything for the house payment and HOA fees for the past 3 months. Technically, he has abandoned the property. The deed is Joint Tennants with Right of...

Wood deck over broken, uneven concrete patio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a broken and uneven concrete patio - I don't want to remove it - I want to cover it with a wood deck... it is fairly stable - can I just put in small posts and level it and use it as a base for the new patio ?

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

View more questions Search