Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Aug 25, 2009, 07:27 PM
    I will Never get a boyfriend
    I will never get a boyfriend in the near future because I am seventeen and have never even had a guy friend... I don't even have a relationship with my brother and father. I have avoided men almost all my life and this habit never seems to die. I have always avoided men because I was insecure with my looks and thought they would never like me because of that factor. Now I am more confident in myself, but it is still hard for me to talk to them. I mean, I can talk to them but I end up seeming stuck up and intimidating. What usually happens is I talk with them one day and avoid them after that.

What should I do? I am not asking for compliments or pity... I need help.
    sweet1028 Posts: 146, Reputation: 43

Aug 25, 2009, 08:30 PM

You need to just let your guard down a little bit. Don't be so intimidating to them or it will just push them away.
    Show them the real you and your Mr. Right will find you. Don't give up now you are only seventeen. Good Luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Hi, avaanstar!

What leads you to believe that you end up seeming stuck up and intimidating, please? Also, has anyone told you that that is the way that you're perceived as being?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 25, 2009, 09:53 PM

Having a relationship, or not, with your father and brother has nothing to do with having a boyfriend. I don't have a father and my relationship with my brother is unstable, to put it mildly, and I have still dated.

Your age has little to do with it, either. I was almost 17 before I dated. I went to college with a girl who was 24-ish and had never been on a date. A couple years later she was engaged.

Don't worry too much about it, or sell yourself short. You're still young. You have years to worry about dating. Besides, teenage guys are generally NOT worth your time.
    MissRissa Posts: 68, Reputation: 15

Aug 27, 2009, 08:55 PM

You'll never get a boyfriend, huh? Now, do you honestly think that's a rational assumption to make? No, it's not. Relax, you're so young! Stop being so hard on yourself. Just because you haven't found a boyfriend yet doesn't mean you'll never ever find one. Give it some time.

If you want to talk to guys the secret is be YOURSELF.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 27, 2009, 09:02 PM

Being a part of groups will help, too. I met my first boyfriend while building sets for plays in high school. I was dirty and wearing grudgy clothes and covered in dust and paint. For some reason he still liked me.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 02:01 AM

(I read it twice, may have missed something, but this is what I got out of it.)

You think because you are insecure (or were, if you say) that that affects your relationships with men?
    Unless you just met your father and brother, that doesn't explain it. You (should) have known them since you were, well, younger, before you developed self-image, and that doesn't fit what you said.

I think that either, you're holding back some information, or you don't actually know. If it's the former, you don't have to tell us, but it's up to you to work on it, and make yourself more approachable and more confident.
    If you honestly don't know, then you need to see a psychologist and have him determine it. You can make progress after you know about it, but until then, it will be like running in the dark, you will hit many walls, trip and fall, before you get where you are going.
    (You know I love these analogies! :D)

I may be wrong, but, it's what I see from your OP.

Either way, good luck! :)
    britEl Posts: 244, Reputation: 35

Aug 28, 2009, 02:27 AM

You have to chill out! Be yourself and have MORE confidence in yourself! Make an effort not to avoid the guys that you talk to! Maybe get some of your girl friends to introduce you to some of their guy friends and have a group get together or a party and just let loose and talk to them! It is a little hard at first but once you get to know them even from talking to them just one night you will find it easier and more comfortable to talk to that same guy! You are still young and have PLENTY of time to master this 'skill' :P. Also be nice to the guys, try not to sound snobby guys do not know you are scared they will just think you are snobby. Find common interests with the guys that you talk to and stick to those subjects when first getting to know them!
    Don't worry you'll do fine!
    Good Luck :D
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 02:33 AM

Lots of good advice from the other posts.

Instead of trying to get a boyfriend or worrying if they will like you or not,just be yourself.
    Build up your confidence by just being friends,don't put any expectations on the conversation,just go with the flow.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 06:35 AM

You are limiting yourself to here and now in high school. Get out of the tunnel vision and realize there is a whole big world out there and you will have plenty of opportunities to met guys you never knew existed.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 08:56 PM

Just relax and think of them as people, not as just men. It's probably hard for some of them to approach you if they think they're interested because you're so stand-off-ish. GO with the flow, maybe not at where you go to school now, because people already "know" you there, but another school close by or even starting college you'll probably find a great guy! :)
    mona93 Posts: 61, Reputation: 0

Sep 6, 2009, 02:17 PM

I'm exactly in the same situasion... I don't have boy frieds or boyfriend... because I hate my looks and don't think they would ever look at me and I even act like a boy... but I maked friends that helped me find a guy... and I found one and after the day we kissed he didn't talked to me... and he told my friends that I don't talk too much
    So I'm trying to be myself not with just girls but with boys 2... it's funny that when I was little I used to spend my time more with boys than with girls but with time things changed I qwess... good luck... you'll find a guy soon don't lose hope because I'm trying 2... by the way I'm 16

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend vs ex sort of boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I've like this guy for 8 - 10 months his name was lets say Scott. Scott and I never actually went out but we liked each other. Said ' I love you' and held hands did what normal couples would do. He didn't ask because he wanted to be 100% sure if out relationship would last. I liked him a lot...

Ex boyfriend or new boyfriend? [ 7 Answers ]

Well my boyfriend just broke up with me about a week ago anndd I just found out that he still likes me but I don't know what to do because he already has a girlfriend and I also just found out that another guy{i have liked for about a year now}likes me and wants to ask me out but I have no idea...

Does my boyfriend still want me? [ 5 Answers ]

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pregnancy-new-motherhood/first-time-being-pregnant-312791.html Yeah my mother suggested that I do that.. but I think I might just wait and see if I get my period.. then ill take it from there.. but I've been having a lot of stress with my boyfriend and since I am...

Why won't my boyfriend have sex with me? [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years now and have lived together for about 6 months. I'm 21 and he's 22, so at our young age, we shouldn't have any problem wanting to have sex or getting in the mood! Well, at least I don't have that problem. The first 5 months we were together, we...

Which ex-boyfriend is right? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know who I love or who to be with. Alan was my best friend for 3 years. We started dating in August and I broke up with him because Jeremy called me, but I really miss Alan. Jeremy and I dated in high school. I loved him from day one, but I don't know. They both want to be with me forever,...

View more questions Search