Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2003, 05:56 PM
    CD Hard Drive back-ups via Nero
    I have approx 7 Gig. Of files and 13 Gig of programs
    (Total ~20 Gig) on my PC which I want to back-up using Nero, however, the capacity of each CD is only 700 meg. (I've brought some re-writeable CD's so I can do this periodically without ending up with reams of CD's).

Does Nero have the ability to "prompt" you to insert a new CD when the 1st one is full (just like PC's used to do in the days of floppy discs)..

I tried the Nero help function but had no luck.

If it has this capability, can you please let me know
    How to do it, otherwise it will be a major exercise to
    Break up my folders, etc into 700 meg sizes.

Please respond to [email protected]

Thx and Regards, Deano.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 10, 2003, 08:47 PM
    Not sure about Nero, but I do have an alternative for you that will work...
    It seems to me that even if Nero can "span" a backup over several CDs, you will need to reinstall Nero to restore it (I might be wrong, though).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2003, 08:32 AM
    A partition imager is a good tool (and I use one) but only if you have your system partitioned effectively. To create images on CD will have you sitting there swapping disks for a couple of hours.

I would use a backup utility like Novastor or My PC Backup. This will allow you to create backup sets so you can backup just your data (on a regular basis) or the rest of the drive (when you make changes).

I generally recommend a minimum of 3 partitions. A drive just for the OS, one for Data and one for programs. This way you can back up the Data partition on a daily basis, but only need to make backups of the others when you make material changes. I use an Imager to back up my OS partition whenever I make changes. Generally I don't back up the programs because I can always reinstall them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is : I have a 40gb hard drive. I have some music, and some pic's. My hard drive has 13% free. I can't believe I 'm using 29gb for that. How do I determine what to clean and how do I do it?

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

Is it a hard drive? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm running a clean computer (no spyware, etc.) but am having trouble starting almost any application (such as Gurunet, NAV 2005, MSIE, Family Tree Maker). Others stop functioning (freeze) after a while - such as Excel. Could this be a sign of a bad sector or HD? Is there a tool to...

View more questions Search