Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charity24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 03:04 PM
    I have a 401k with less than a $1,000 in it. I wanted to know what the taxes would be? I quit that job and need to get it out. I need to know if I should transfer it of take it out?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 25, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Transfer it into a rollover IRA. You can go to any bank, mutual fund or brokerage house and they will help you with the transfer. That way, you can get the money out tax-free and later transfer it into the 401K of your new employer.

If you take it out and spend it, the custodian will withhold 20% (required by law). You will pay taxes at whatever your tax rate is for both federal and state PLUS a 10% early withdrawal penalty which cannot be mitigated. That means that you will pay the 10% penalty even if you owe no other tax.
    jboyle2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
    Did you start your business after leaving your old job? If so, you can open a Solo 401k and transfer your old 401k into it tax free (trustee-to-trustee transfer). A solo 401k is for the self employed and allows for rollovers, transfers and high contributions. You can learn more at: http://www.mysolo401k.net/Contributions.html
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 09:08 AM
    Jboyle - you should notice that (a) the original post is 5 years old and (b) the poster said nothing about starting a business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently terminated from my job of 11 years. While I never had a 401k with the company I worked for that I made contributions to, the company made contributions on their own for the employee for many years, even though I never started or made payments into a 401k. I cashed out the 401k last...

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

View more questions Search