Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    velu80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Tax and short sale
    I have a short sale coming up I have the following question. Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

1.I have 80/20 mortgage, which was refinanced in CA, My current balance for 289K and 73K ; The offer I submitted to the lenders for 180K; there would be a balance of 181K

2.My first mortg is a non-recourse and second is a recourse. Do I get a 1099C for the balance

3. Do I get any help from Mort Debt forgivenss 2007 law. Do I get any tax relief from CA

Thanks for your response.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
    You probably WILL get a Form 1099C (as well as a Form 1099A).

You are likely eligible to file Form 982 under the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007.

As for getting any tax relief from California, it does NOT look like it. The link below provides for tax relief for 2007 and 2008, but nothing in 2009 and beyond.

Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Law

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The house I am purchasing is in short sale, and it was appraised for less than the asking price. My agent told me that because of what the home was appraised at, the bank is not going to fund more money than that, therefore my contract is null and void. Do you think I will have to...

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to do a short sale and have a offer pending bank approval what is the options if it is not approved and is a short sale terrible on a credit report

FHA short sale [ 4 Answers ]

I sold my house over 4 years ago via a short sale because I had been laid off and could no longer afford to pay my monthly mortgage. I received a letter in the mail yesterday, Feb 22, 2007, from HUD saying that I owed them $4900. I can only assume that this is from the property that was sold 01/03,...

View more questions Search