Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinersherman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 06:44 AM
    using quadratic formula to solve problems
    I understand how to set the problem up, not sure how to come up with final answer. Example x=-3 plus or minus radical 329 divided by 2. the answer is 10.57, but how do they get that?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 07:20 AM

Hmm, that?

The solutions are -10.57 and 7.57 (all to 2 dp)

Well, grab a calculator. To have the negative value, you have to take the negative sign in the plus minus sign. You find the square root of 329 (18.138... ), then press - 3 minus ANS ( -3 - 18.138... ). Divide the value you just got (-21.138... ) by two to have -10.57.

To have the other solution, do the same thing except that you use plus instead of minus in the plus minus sign. You'll get 7.57.

Hope it helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solve using quadratic equation [ 3 Answers ]

I have no clue how to solve these 2 word problems! 1. Chris cuts half a rectangular lawn 40m by 30m, by mowing strips of equal width around the perimeter. Jeri cuts the small rectangle that's left. How wide a strip does Chris cut so that they share the work equally? 2. Dieter makes a journey...

How do I solve a word dilemma using quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for days on this and went to every website and test I could find but cannot wrap my brain around this. Word problems give me great difficulty and I am supposed to construct a quadratic equation for this. I'd really appreciate some help. if a retailer spends $48 to purchase some...

Quadratic Formula Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Can you hel pme solve this equation using the quadratic formula: 5X^2-2X+8=0 thank youuuuu!

Quadratic formula [ 5 Answers ]

Hey I need some help with this question; A tank can be filled in 6 hrs using two pipes. The larger pipe alone would fill it 5 hrs sooner than the smaller pipe alone. How long would each pipe alone take?

The Quadratic Formula and Discriminant? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: :( *screams in horror* I seriously need help with this problem!! 3x(squared) +1=2x :eek: this is the formula! -b + - (square root of) b(squared) - 4 ac all divided by 2a ...

View more questions Search