Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LukesWife13 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 06:36 PM
    Complaint against parole officer
    I was wondering if I could file a grievance or some other complaint against my husbands parole officer or if he could, we live in Illinois.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 06:41 PM

You can file a complaint if he did something against you,

Your husband can file a complaint if the officer broke one of the rules or laws.

Remember you may still have the same officer and they may find he did nothing wrong, So it had better be super serious issue. Or the other officers may help find violations that your husband has done

Aug 25, 2009, 10:53 AM

He is off parole now. So that's is all good. He came in our house screaming and cussing at me in front of my kids. They were both terrified then arrested my husband in front of them.

Aug 25, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Does anyone know how I go about filing a complaint?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 11:06 AM

He was arrested for absolutely no reason? If so, I see a legal action and not a complaint.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 12:25 PM

Hello L:

You can call the parole office and get the managers's name and address. That's where you could address your complaint... But, I'm not sure what it's going to accomplish except to make you feel good. It's not going to hurt him, and it COULD come back on you. You DO know that parole officers have friends who are cops, don't you? What?? You don't think the cops would retaliate for their friendly parole officer?? Really?

I agree with Judy. If the arrest was unlawful, I'd file a lawsuit instead of a complaint. THAT'LL get their attention.

excon

Aug 25, 2009, 06:33 PM
    We are in a small town and my uncle is a state cop. There isn't a cop here going to mess with us and this po is known for being "difficult" to put it nicely. Im not sure whether it was unlawful or not because the kids were here but he had no contact with them which was the rule so really he did nothing wrong his po just assumed had seem them and he would not let us explain the situation. I'm trying to find a lawyer that would do it pro bono or only if we win. Anybody got any suggestions?
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 06:26 AM

No, this is neither a pro bono case nor a contingency case (paid out of the proceeds if you win), at least in NY. Taking on an entire system is not an easy task and I'm sure no Attorney will touch it without some money up front and having fees paid as you go.

If you are in a small town with an Uncle who is on the State force, ask him how to proceed.

Am I reading this correctly - he was not to have contact with the children but was at your house where the children was (even though you said he had no contact with them) and that's why he was arrested?

Aug 27, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Yes it was a one time thing because we only had one vehicle and we got into a pickle it is a very confusing situations

Yes it was a one time thing because we only had one vehicle and we got into a pickle it is a very confusing situations

And my uncle said he is not an attorney. He doesn't know. I don't want to take on the system I want to take on his ex po

Aug 27, 2009, 09:10 AM
    My complaint is not against him arresting him even though he had no proof and techniclly he did not violate my complaint is how his po conducted himself in front of my children scaring both of them half to death then arresting their father in front of them our son has nightmares and is scared of every police officer he sees he almost broke his ankle trying to run in the house to get away from one in our town he has known since birth. He has nightmares and is terrified they will come after me next. Besides that he has no right to come in yelling and cussing at me. I am not under his thumb he has no power over me other than the power he had over my husband that effected me. Plus I don't appreciate my son who is repeating everything to think it is OK to use those words or act that way towards people.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 10:25 AM

But the cause of all of this is that for some reason your husband cannot be near your children and on this occasion he was?

Am I correct in that?

If so, why and is that the reason that the Police did or didn't overreact?

As far as the Uncle is concerned where I am the Police - including State Troopers - know just about everybody who works in the legal system. I have difficulty believing he can't give you any advice on where to report this.

And keep calling Attorneys until you find one.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 10:49 AM

Hello again, L:

I'm going to chime in one more time, and then I'm out of hear. I think you want to complaint SOOOO badly, that you're going to no matter what advice you get here.

I also want you to know that I'm on YOUR side. I'm sure the offending probation officer is a real prick and he should be removed from his job...

But, nobody cares what I think... And, nobody cares what you think. There's really nothing you can DO about it except write a letter or make a phone call. And, neither of those are going to do any good except to make you feel better.

I don't mean to infer that you're helpless. But you need to distinguish between the things you CAN impact, and the things you can't.

excon

Aug 27, 2009, 11:27 AM
    I'm not going to do anything if I can't I would rather leave it in the past but I feel like I need to stand up for other people that may be in the same situation as us. I do take your advice into consideration. Just trying to explain why I feel so strongly about it. The girl that got my husband in trouble got 4 other guys here in town in trouble and they will end up with the same po and they all have children. So I am just trying to help people in the future
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LukesWife13 View Post
    So i am just tryin to help people in the future
    Hello L:

I understand... That's why I used the word "impact". Anything short of being really IMPACTFUL, it's likely to irritate them rather than change them. What if, after your complaint, this guy just gets madder and treats the folks he's going to supervise in the future WORSE because of it??

If you can't cost him his JOB or a LOT OF MONEY, you're not going to do ANYTHING other than make yourself feel better. NO, I don't think your letter will protect ANYBODY.

excon

Aug 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    But the cause of all of this is that for some reason your husband cannot be near your children and on this occasion he was?

Am I correct in that?

If so, why and is that the reason that the Police did or didn't overreact?

As far as the Uncle is concerned where I am the Police - including State Troopers - know just about everybody who works in the legal system. I have difficulty believing he can't give you any advice on where to report this.

And keep calling Attorneys until you find one.
    Yes you are correct to a point but he was to have no contact with him and he did not. I ussually use my mom's car to pick the kids up after my husband leave then take them to my mom's before he gets home. But the morning this happened my mom had to use her car so we were in a pickle. So I went and got them came home and my husband was in the garage with is separated from the house and we came in the house then he was supposed to take the truck. And go to work well when he went to get in the truck his PO showed up and said he wanted to look inside the house. And my husband told him the truth told him the kids were in there and tried to explain the situation. But he wouldn't let him. He came in the house yelling and cussing at me in front of the kids. I tried to explain what had happened and asked him what he would have rather us have done he said he did give and f we should have just figured it out well that was the only way we could think of to do it. And he didn't violate the terms of his parole. Even the parole board saw it that he hadn't violated. I know it seems really confusing. Here the POs pick them up and arrest them it is an inside thing within the department of corrections so police really do not have anything to do with parole violations. And he told me to call the parole officer and ask how to do it but I don't want to start anything till I know there is something I can do about it.
    My husband couldn't be near the kids because it was part of the terms his PO put on him because he is considered a sex offender. He was at a party one night and there was a girl there drinking driving and smoking. She even went and bought alchohal. He messed around with her and then the next day her mom called telling him she was underage and if he gave them money they wouldn't turn him in well the money they wanted would have broke him and he didn't do it. So here we are. He can see them now that he is off parole it was just a rule his PO put on him here they have to follow any rule their PO thinks up. Even his counslor said he was no threat to his kids.

Aug 27, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello L:

I understand... That's why I used the word "impact". Anything short of being really IMPACTFUL, it's likely to irritate them rather than change them. What if, after your complaint, this guy just gets madder and treats the folks he's going to supervise in the future WORSE because of it???

If you can't cost him his JOB or a LOT OF MONEY, you're not going to do ANYTHING other than make yourself feel better. NO, I don't think your letter will protect ANYBODY.

excon
    Thank u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !

How do I go about adopting my little sister against her parents wishes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im 17 atm living in Australia, I have a baby sister, and I am hoping to adopt her within the next five years. She currently lives with her dad(my step dad) and our mum, I moved out from their care 4 years ago and got a restraining order against my step because of abuse issues. I know my...

Parole Officer Asking Intimate Questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My boyfriend was charged by the police last Dec/08 for assault and damage of property! He DID NOT physically assault me! After two months of him being incarcerated in an Ontario Detention Centre he has been assigned a P/O. He is doing very well and is attending all of the agree'd counseling...

Petitioning to a Parole Officer [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to send a letter to my brother's parole officer asking for them to help my brother get help (rehabilitation). The system is broken, as he's been in and out of the system for almost 20 years now. He'll get out, can't find work due to his felon and he's released back into the same type...

View more questions Search