Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 06:11 PM
    Odd barked shrub
    I have a shrub growing in my yard, planted there or maybe left there by previous owner. It's bark is unusual for it's wing like. The main stems themselves are more oval than round, with the wing like protrusions 180 degrees from each other. The plant has small leaves, and no fruit or flowers that I have seen. I'm in southern Missouri, and I see these everywhere. Anyone have an idea what it could be?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Hi, Missouri Bound!

Would it be possible for you to post an image here, of the entire shrub as well as a close-up of the leaves, please?

Thanks!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 26, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Hi! Missouri Bound,

A pix would be nice, but from your description you wouldn't be asking 'bout Eucalyptus, would you?

Eucalyptus sideroxylon characteristics or any of the Myrtaceae - Myrtle family?

K
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Photos
    This is what I am questioning.
    Attached Images

Sep 13, 2009, 07:04 PM
    That is either a birch or beech tree. I haven't nailed it down yet, but I'm positive it's one or the other.

K
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Please keep in mind that this is a close up... the shrub is only 3 feet tall, and the picture is of a stem perhaps 1/2" in diameter... without the wings. Again it's native here, but I never saw one in Illinois, where I moved from. And I' am familiar with Birch trees... and I don't think it's that.

Sep 14, 2009, 05:49 PM
    MB, what you have there is a River Birch.

Check the map, what part of Illinois were you from?
    The dark shading indicates range.

When they're young they'll look like shrubs.

Check back in 10years or so an it'll look like the top image.

Here's some more images on this site:
    river birch, Betula nigra (Fagales: Betulaceae) @ Forestry Images

K
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 05:07 PM
    I appreciate all the responses, but I have an answer from a local nursery, and without a doubt it is a winged elm. Perennials & Bamboo, Perennials & Bamboo Nursery

Oct 1, 2009, 06:48 PM
    That's good news MB, I stand corrected.

I was going by the bark's characteristic, circled on your photo (horizontal lenticels on smooth bark), that Beech, Birch, and some Elm's :o have, but was unfamiliar with the Elm's ability to "paper/layer" its bark like that.

wikipedia Winged_Elm

I give myself a "reddie" on this one... k
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Kuxj.. no problem. And I've lived here for almost 4 years and just now finding out what it is. My property is full of oak trees, and the woods on the property is full of cedar, oak and some paw paw trees. I've got dogwood and redbud, but this one just doesn't fit the rest of the landscape... maybe I'll give it a couple of years before I decide to remove it. Anyway, thanks again for your response

Oct 1, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Your welcome.

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's Wrong With My Japanese Box Wood Shrub ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello... First, I have to come out of closet : I am NOT a gardener. About 2 months, we have planted about 60 Japanese Boxwood shrubs to fill-in spaces between hardscape columns. . About 4-5 weeks ago we had few very hot days. Then, I noticed about 1/3 of the newly planted shrubs were losing its...

One spot on shrub keeps dying [ 4 Answers ]

One spot in my shrub or bush keeps dying. Three years in a row I've trimmed off the dead in this particular spot. The rest of the bush grows normally, but this spot doesn't grow back, just spreads. All the other bushes are fine. Does anyone know why this particular spot is doing this? Is there...

Shrub theft [ 1 Answers ]

I am a senior, retired, industrious and love to garden. Last week, I drove part of the Ontario countryside with a shovel looking for shrubs in the ditch to fence portion of a township roadway. I dug 4 shrubs. On my return trip home, I drove into a well travelled trail, got out of the car,...

Juniper shrub removal and soil treatment [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a large juniper shrub removed from my front lawn and am constructing a three terrace planter to cover the spot. How much new soil should be laid down and how much of the soil that the juniper was in should be removed? Can or should this "old soil" be treated if not removed prior to...

View more questions Search